Rattlesnakes

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.
rebeccac

Re : Rattlesnakes

Postby rebeccac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:59 pm

Lindy, a semi-auto!! OMG, if I tell my DH about that he will think you're hot!

I have a .38 and would use it on any big snake coming my way. I say big because if it wasn't, I'd miss for sure[:D]

browncow

Postby browncow » Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:22 pm

I shot mine with a semi-automatic 9mm. I'm not a weapons enthusiast but my boyfriend gave me the gun for protection since I lived alone out in the country. He collected the gun after we broke up so I guess he was no longer super concerned with my safety.

Most of the rattlers in our area were timber, canebreak, and diamondbacks with an occasional outbreak of pygmies. Pygmies are small-usually less than two feet long-and are recognizable by the blunt rather than triangular shaped heads indicative of pit vipers.

I have a morbid fascination with snakes, I don't want personal encounters with them but put a snake show on television and I'll watch the whole thing. My daughter likes snakes (?) so we've made a point to tell her "never touch one unless it's handled by a zoo worker!!!" Her fascination lies with cobras, I've no idea why but thankfully, there are none in my neck of the woods!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 09:20 am

Revecca that is what I got bit by!!!! A baby Timber Rattler in Aarkansas at my grandparents house when I was a kid. Those Timbers are POISONOUS! My leg swole up soooo big.
Thanx for all the tips on the rattlers browncow! That is awesome to know! I have heard of the snake balls, I'd personaly like to have a rattlesnake hunt, how could I get people to come? They can shoot any **** snake on my property! Would they come for a 5 acre shoot? Or do you need like 100 acres? I don't know what kind of crazy person wants to eat rattlesnake but my land is FREE for snake eaters! Just come and find them LOL.
Guess I need a gun eh? I have never considered owning a gun as I hate them, but I think I hate rattlesnakes more...................maybe a really good gun safe and a shotgun? What's the best for shooting these nasty suckers?

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Thu Apr 10, 2008 02:17 pm

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Apr 10, 2008 01:52 pm

Rebecca, We have snakes in WI?? WHAT?? OMG??? I didn't know about Timber Rattlers. One more reason I don't do camping!!

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Thu Apr 10, 2008 01:37 pm

Lindy, ROFL!! My FIL picks up dead coons for that reason...$$.

We live next to people with 4 horses, so snakes here get trampled and my DH is good at getting them with the lawn mower. Granted, they are harmless grass snakes, but to me a snake is a snake! Hopefully DS won't collect them as a hobby, LOL!

(We do have timber rattlers here in WI that can get up to 50 inches long and are poisionus, but it is illegal to kill them....)

Good luck avoiding the snakes![:)]

browncow

Postby browncow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:17 am

The area where I lived in Alabama wasn't far from the home of the "world's largest rattlesnake rodeo" where rattlers are released-and protected-in the Alabama State Forest so you can imagine the snake population with which we dealt.

When not sunning, snakes in cooler weather tend to "bed up" in darker, hidden places; specifically in barns, under porches, under swingset slides, and even at tree bases. I recall looking for Christmas trees and at least the first three I chose had snakes bedded beneath pine straw all around the base.

In saying they bed up, I mean several-even ten or more-at one time. A good rule of thumb is "the colder the weather, the more snakes together." It's just a matter of getting into the habit of looking around and being aware of what's in your immediate environment.

If you're out in the country, as annoying as possums and armadillos can be they are also great guards against snakes; they'll chase and run them off in a heartbeat!

I shot a 6 ft. rattler several years ago because I thought it ate my cat. My neighbor rode by, saw me standing on the porch holding a gun, so he whipped into the drive and asked what had happened. I told him I thought the snake ate the cat but even if it hadn't, it was big/blocking my steps/and it scared me!

He picked it up, counted the rattles (13), and said, "I'll give you $250.00 for him." My only hope was that he'd get it out of my yard! I pocketed the $250 but paid in other ways when he came back that evening asking me to try the snake nuggets he'd deep-fried.

And for the record: no, snake does not taste like chicken.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 06:48 pm

Heather--when I was 7 months prego or so we were moving in when building was finally complete and on our way here was a HUMONGO rattlesnake in the road. I ran it over like twenty times, you should've seen this snake! He crawled onto the wrong road!!!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Apr 03, 2008 03:45 pm

Summer,
Not that I want snakes either, but the thought of you wielding a hoe and shotgun is the funniest thing I've thought about all day! And I'm still recovering from "smashed potatosnakes." Goodness.

And I think I'd steer clear of the landscape rock, too, from the sound of things [:)].

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 01:14 pm

Yes babies are the most venemous because they do not know how to regulate their venom yet, so when they bite they release all of it into you (that's what I got bit by and why I nearly died from it--plus I was only 6). So we are getting ready to landscape, do you think it would be a poor idea to use rock? If rock attracts these nasty slithering things would landscape rock attract them? I dont want snakes! I do now have cats (PRAYING my dogs don't eat the cats LOL).......
How do I organize a rattlesnake hunt?

Return to “Misc”