Can PP hypertension indicate a risk factor for PreE?

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Can PP hypertension indicate a risk factor for PreE?

Postby Nevlonniel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 04:58 am

I'm new to the forums, and I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I figured the Misc forum would be the safest bet.

I have been pregnant twice. My first pregnancy was very easy. There was only one visit to my OB/GYN where they said my BP was a little elevated, but nothing to raise any flags. All the visits after that showed normal BP. My second pregnancy was also very easy, and no mention of elevated BP was mentioned at any of my doctor visits.

However, exactly one week after delivering my second baby, I was afflicted (for lack of a better term) with extremely high BP. I had a severe headache, rapid breathing, chest pains and difficulty thinking. At first I thought I was having an anxiety attack, but it wasn't getting any better, so I had to go to the ER (it was a weekend). They gave me medication to lower the BP and ran all sorts of tests. They sent me home with some BP meds (I had to make sure they were safe for breast feeding), stating it was simply post-partum hypertension. Well, apparently the dosage of BP meds they gave me wasn't strong enough, cause all the symptoms came back the next day, but worse. I couldn't even talk on the phone to tell the doctor how I was feeling, so I had to give the phone to my husband to describe my symptoms. Off to the ER again (it was still the weekend), and they gave me a higher dosage of BP meds and ran more tests. They also kept me overnight for observation.

In the course of that weekend, I had blood tests done, MRI, CAT Scan, and Ecocardiogram. I never thought I'd ever see some of those machines in person. Everything came back negative. So, again, they just confirmed it as post-partum hypertension, raised my BP meds, and sent me home. Thankfully, the dosage of BP meds was good this time, and I didn't have anymore surprise episodes.

The post-partum hypertension stuck with me for about 3-4 months. Nearing the end of the 4th month, my general practioner wanted to get me off the BP meds, so I was instructed to slowly taper off the meds. After a week, I was off of them, and my BP was back to normal.

Now that baby #2 is nearing his 1-year birthday, my husband and I have been talking casually, on and off, about maybe having a third (I'm still trying to determine if my sanity can take a third. ;) )

One of my main concerns is the risk of contracting high BP during the pregnancy, and that in itself turning into preeclampsia, due to having gotten post-partum hypertension. I've asked my OB/GYN about this, and she simple said that they would just keep an eye on my BP, and if they saw it getting high they would put me on bed rest.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if anyone here has ever heard of post-partum hypertension that was not associated with preeclampsia, being an indicator for at risk of contracting preeclampsia.

I hope that makes some sense. :?

Return to “Misc”