Preemies are good things that come in small pkg's

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mom2ella

Re : Preemies are good things that come in small pkg's

Postby mom2ella » Sat Apr 25, 638296 5:00 am

I know this is kind of an older topic but I had a hilarious comparison for size when Ella was born. I would always see those Pizza Hut commercials saying that their calzone weighed a whole pound. I used to think "I cannot believe my child weighs the same as a Pizza Hut menu item!" She was 1lb, 3oz. I'll have to think of a good one for little Ethan...weighing in at 15 oz.

kathyc

Postby kathyc » Tue Mar 07, 638293 11:28 pm

Audrey was a big ole' 5 pounds at birth, so the bag of sugar comparison works for us too. The funny thing is, she didn't feel that heavy to me at the time. I remember the first time I got to do kangaroo care thinking that it was more like holding a kitten than a baby.

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Mar 07, 638293 3:25 pm

Hannah's NICU nurse used to call her a cornish gamehen!! My nieces and nephews told everyone that she was the size of a beanie baby at birth because the nurses laid a dolphin beanie baby on top of Hannah and they were the same size. That beanie baby sits on my nightstand so I can see it every night before bed. My mom was a fourth grade teacher when Hannah was born, and she told her students that Hannah weighed the same as a can of soda (Hannah weighed less than a pound in the delivery room and then fell below a pound again when she got really sick.)

marchalice

Postby marchalice » Mon Feb 13, 638293 9:20 pm

The nurses called my 1lb 4oz daughter "the little girl with the big name". So we decided to reduce the moniker of Genevieve Veronica to Geni. It was the smallest we could make her name... and it stuck. She still uses it at 10 yrs of age. (She is still the smallest in her class by about a head)

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Thu Aug 08, 638289 6:55 pm

I meant to say, I took Jake's first little knitted hat into work along with a picture of him swimming in it. The hat is so tiny, it is like a doll's hat. I also brought his first diaper, which he couldn't wear until he was in the grower and feeder room...it's even smaller than a doll's. Really freaks people out to see how small he truly was.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Wed Aug 07, 638289 6:02 pm

I always say Braden weighed the size of those 3lb bag of potatoes! When I was pregnant with Braden DH bought me some roses and it came with the little puppy dog and when Braden was born we put it in the incubator with him. By gosh it was the exact same size of him! We took pictures and people couldnt' believe it is was really neat to compare. Neeless to say we still have the little pupply dog. I think if my house was on fire that would one of the things I would go after, LOL!

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Wed Aug 07, 638289 10:20 am

I have a picture of my hand around Kelly Ann's head and it fit inside my palm like a little tangerine. Her whole hand was the size of the very tip of my finger...so TINY!!! We brought her home when she reached 4 lbs and we thought that was sooooo big!

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Sun Jul 28, 638289 10:05 am

DS is way on the other side of the spectrum here. 7lbs, 4oz birth weight! The biggest one in the NICU. He looked out of place[:(]

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Sun Jul 28, 638289 8:15 am

Gabrielle was a little smaller than a small stuffed bunny. I took a picture of her next to it when we got home. Its so amazing, how fast they grow.

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Sun Jul 28, 638289 2:42 am

Jenn! We should!! And now we know someone who knows how to make them BOO *wink*wink*

Seriously though Boo, that’s amazing you know how to make those Reborn Dolls… how awesome is that?!?!!

I’ve thought of attempting one… we have a HUGE store in Salt Lake that sells the ‘Official’ Reborn Doll materials… my girlfriend said “no way” I would be wasting my money because it takes a very skilled hand… and well, lets just say I’m not the crafty type *giggle*

Return to “Parents of Preemies”