Eye issues/strabismus

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mom2chloe

Re : Eye issues/strabismus

Postby mom2chloe » Mon Aug 28, 638311 6:53 am

In my recent experience...the pediatric opthmalogist said that in order to get an accurate reading of a kids eyes, they have to be dilated.

I did not know this and went to my optometrist first, and he did a regular old vision test. He ended up prescribing glasses for my 3 yr old. (She was farsighted as well)

After the referral to the opthmalogist at our 3yr c/u- he said we did not need glasses right now. He said that those vision exams- picture ID, and the "does this look better? of this?" type of questions are very difficult for kids- and very hard to get a good reading.

I would get a 2nd opinion from another opthmalogist. If there is a prob it is best to get the eyes fixed or corrected by school age. :)

season
Forum Moderator

Re : Eye issues/strabismus

Postby season » Mon Aug 28, 638311 3:56 am

It may be that one eye is seeing a lot better than the other - thus you don't see him having problems.

Opthamologists are MDs, optemetrists are not - so I owuld consider that when you decide who's advice t take.

My dd at 3 started wearing glasses - as one ye was signifnicantly weaker than the other. It meant she had no depth perception etc. The issue with this - si that the brain forms aptterns and if it cna not form them int eh early years it enver will. So the glasses would help him see the way he should, so that his brain can make the connections needed.

After 6 months with the glasses my dd's weak eye was seeing better witht he glasses than her strong eye sees. So it forced her to sue that eye and now she cna even see a difference.

As far as I understand it would not make him dependant on the prescription (little ones eyes are changing constantly.) I think the opposite is true. Especially if one eye is weaker, the glasses could actually strengthen that eye - as it would be forced to work more (vs relying on the other eye to see everything.)

colesmommy

Eye issues/strabismus

Postby colesmommy » Mon Aug 28, 638311 12:40 am

Just want to get some advice.DS was born in August 2007 11 weeks early. He had stage 1 ROP, which resolved on its own. The retina doctors referred us to the pediatric ophthalmologist in our area, who saw DS in the spring. We went back for a follow up appoinment 2 weeks ago, and he says that he needs glasses. His eyes are NOT crossed, but the doctor says he needs glasses or his eyes will be terrible. He said that DS was farsighted, instead of nearsighted like most babies are.
Anyway, we are wondering about getting a second opinion, and if there a place where we can find information so we can understand more, and where we can find a good doctor. We live in East TN.
DS eyes look fine, not crossed at all, and he can see to pick up lint, cheerios, small puffs, plays with his toys fine, doesn't run into things, etc. Essentially, he does nothing to indicate to us by his actions or how his eyes look to show us he has a problem. All the doctor did was look in his eyes for maybe 30 seconds. That's it.
We have a friend of the family who is an optometrist, and he that he would not put glasses on a child this young (he's not even hit his true 1 year old birthday yet), that if we put glasses on him at this age, it will make his eyes dependent on that strong of a prescription.
So, DH and I are so confused and don't know what to do in fear that either way we go, we are not making the right decision.
Any advice or direction on this would be soooooo helpful

Thanks, everyone!!

Return to “Parents of Preemies”