FEVER

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
cindyh27

Re : FEVER

Postby cindyh27 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 05:57 pm

So glad to hear that Avery is doing much better!! It's always scary when the little ones get sick :(

Hopefully now mommy can get some much needed rest too!!

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:34 am

So sorry to hear that Avery is not feeling well, it is so hard when they are so little. Give her a hug from me and I am sending many feel better vibes her way.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:51 am

Well no more fever, just a cranky girl, but she is getting several teeth in. She slept all weekend (like 7 hours during the day on Saturday, and about 5 on Sunday). We've been giving her medicine for the teeth, and she said she wanted to go back to school today. She was probably bored after being home with me and not feeling well enough to play. SO I guess we are on the mend.

Thanks for all your help ladies!

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Hey Kara,
I think just asking your dr. if it's a UTI wouldn't hurt.
I'm no dr, so I don't know "how they know", but I'm sure there's a method.
But it DOES sound a bit like Natalia when she had a raging infection.
Natalia is SEVERLY allergic to dairy and soy as well, but as I'm sure you know it's in everything, and not completely avoidable.
So at one point she got very sick and had mucus poops as well.
And being diaper bound and being a girl makes an E.Coli UTI almost unavoidable.
Natalia was crying a bit, not sleeping, not eating, and nothing made sense to why she too had a fever. One dr told me it was teeth.
2 days later she was a very sick baby in the hospital fighting a nasty UTI.
And like you, I was all... babies get UTI'S!?
Makes sense now.

So as I said, worth asking. It's free [;)]

Hope she's feeling better soon.
Jenn

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jul 29, 2007 06:40 pm

We're eating Dora popsicles too!! HA! No fever, but still CRANKY! Exhaustingly cranky. We are on day 4 and I'm already considering staying home with her tomorrow. GOod luck. Hope he feels better!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 06:36 pm

Kara- I think the virus or whatever Avery has creeped through the computer. We spent the day at the zoo yesterday, and Jaden was great, but quieter than usual. Today he has been a little bear. I thought he was just overtired from yesterday, but nope, 102. So far, not much else, other than he just cries and wants to be held. Three or four days of this, huh? He won't let me look at his throat, but he is not very interested in food; just Dora popsicles.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jul 29, 2007 01:19 pm

She was actually around 97 degrees all day yesterday, but still cranky, lethargic, and had no appetite. She slept for about 7 hours during the day, off and on, and then most of the night last night (waking up a few times). She did have one diaper that was mucousy yesterday, which is what happens when she's had dairy or soy. And since she hasn't had either, we have an idea that she is becoming intolerant to her formula (rice milk mixed with a little formula). We switched from the prescription formula kind to the OTC hypoallergenic stuff about a month and a half ago. She seemed to be doing fine with it. But she has been refusing to drink her "milk" during the day and reserves it for nighttime when she's starving (from not eating all day long). So I'm wondering if that has anything to do with her crankiness. It certainly doesn't explain the fever though. No fever last night, either. But just as irritable as she can get today. She's been down for 2 naps already. Still refusing to eat, and doesn't want much of anything to drink...not even grape pedialyte.

I imagine thye will have her strep culture read by tomorrow. And other than incisor teeth that seem to be through the gum now, and the whole formula thing. Well, who knows! I am glad the fever is down. Her ears were completely clear when she was at the Dr. on Thursday after a day of fever. Maybe it's a combination of problems.

I never thought about a UTI. I guess it didn't occur to me that little ones get them. How exactly would I know? How do they check for that kind of thing? She isn't pulling at her diaper area or anything.

Oh and mother bear...I've never seen her eat like that before....but that was after several days of eating nothing, and that was the only thing she ate all day. That 20# mark is certainly a hurdle! We took her to see an occupational therapist for her lack of eating habits, and it worked tremendously well. You might consider if a consult would help her.

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I'll let you know what happens. If she's not better tomorrow (fever or not) we are back into the docs office. Three days off work is ridiculous for a sore throat, so it has to be more than that.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 am

just throwing in my two cents here?
what about a uti?
poor baby< hope she feels better soon!

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Sun Jul 29, 2007 09:40 am

When my little one had a fever of 102-103 for 4 days just after her shots, followed by a day of polka-dot rash all over, turned out to be a case of roseola. Ah, she was so pathetically lethargic and miserable though.

If my little one ever ate an entire banana and 4 bites of pancake in one sitting, I'd be totally shocked. (sigh) That's why she's not going to be 20 pounds by the time #2 comes out.

I hope Avery Ann's fever has come down by now.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 08:03 am

I hope Avery is feeling better this morning. Did they run the longer strep test and check her ears? A lot of times the rapid strep test is negative, but then the culture is positive. Otherwise, sounds like she has the same virus that that is making a run up here in MN also. That's a high, scary fever. AJ is my high fever guy. Sniffles and he shoots up to 103. I'm glad the motrin and tylenol brought it down. I have also been instructed to double up in the past, and that has worked for us.

I would watch her close for any new symptoms or if you really get that gut feeling something isn't right. One of the ladies that works for me has a four year old that had virtually the same symptoms this past week. They took her in, and the ER doc gave them the pink stuff even tho her strep test came back negative. She still had the fever spiking on and off for another three days. So, pretty sure it was viral in her case.

My two boys are in daycare twice a week, and at grandmas other days, when DH has something going on. She will be exposed to more "stuff" at daycare than she was at home with a nanny. Thats just the way it is. She will have less to catch in kindergarten. I guess as with everything in life, it's a trade off. To me, their experiences in their daycare outweigh the extra germs....

I have to laugh at the "entire banana and 4 bites of pancake" comment. Jaden really is a little oinker. He will chow two bananas and two waffles in a sitting, no problem. Imagine feeding him as a teenage boy[:D]

Return to “After your baby is born .....”