Introducing meats.....

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommiesangel

Re : Introducing meats.....

Postby mommiesangel » Thu Mar 12, 638296 1:57 am

Fiona: We have tried pasta noodles no sause. She really really enjoyed that!

Michelle! We also found Veggie Turkey and Sweetpotato and chicken in jar food (stage 2). She really enjoyed the sp/chicken!

Thank goodness for Walmart otherwise I would never have found that food.

michellelhuston

Postby michellelhuston » Sat Feb 29, 638296 3:30 am

Zachary doesn't like the meats alone either, BUT he will eat the jars that say chicken and veggies. The veggie over powers the meat!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Feb 06, 638296 4:15 pm

You could also try fish. White fish (flaked carefully to check with bones) mixes up with mashed sweet potatoes and a little OJ or apple juice was always popular with my boys.

Chicken is quite a tricky texture for babies, I found. We had more success with ground beef or lamb. The advantage of the jarred food over things like nuggets, is that is has to conform to strict guidelines about salt and other additives.

Have you tried pasta with meat sauce yet?

katevans

Postby katevans » Wed Feb 05, 638296 9:38 pm

I would put whatever meat we wee having in the blender and mix with a little vegetable that we were having. Usually something sweet like carrots or sweet potatoes. Thankfully, Tommy has never been a picky eater. He will even eat brussel sprouts.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Wed Feb 05, 638296 4:35 pm

I would mince up cooked chicken breast for Jake very fine and he liked that; not as "mushy" as jarred. He also liked stir fry sauce (after he was a year old). He would eat fish sticks, too -- I would take the coating off and pull the fish stick apart into small bits (I bought him the sticks because I am allergic to white fish, so I could nuke one or two at a time).

Honestly though, this is a kid who loves meat. He ate the jarred stuff and whatever else I would give him. If he's in the mood, he will eat an entire steak.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 05, 638296 10:08 am

Mixing grown up rice in with texture stuff really helps ALOT. Or at least it helped our kiddoo. Gives them a little something firm within the concoction to "chew" on!

jana m

Postby jana m » Wed Feb 05, 638296 7:08 am

We've been trying to introduce meats too, without much success so far. I won't do jarred meats. Too gross. I've tried mashing up what we're eating, but I think it's a textural issue for Xander so I've stopped it for about a week or two and have gone back to the stage 2 stuff that he loves. We'll try again soon and see if he's ready. In the mean time, I always put pieces of something we're eating on his tray and give him the chance to explore. I figure that he'll do it when he's ready, but it has to be on his terms.

Good luck!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Tue Feb 04, 638296 3:22 am

I went straight to soft table meats too. Pureed meat is yucky.

So if we had chicken or ground beef anything that was soft enough, I just cut some tiny pieces and fed her those.

My dd loved and still does, pinto beans.

Tofu is another great source of protien that is a great funger food.

The more you introduce to her the same foods you eat the ebtter. You are shaping her tastes. So try to stay away from the idea of "kid" foods if you can. (ie chciken nuggets, fries etc.) Otherwise she will grow accustomed to that being what she eats.

Steamed rice and boiled noodles (cut into smaller) are both great finger foods too.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Jan 26, 638296 5:14 am

Jarred meats weren't Avery's favorite either and we went right to smooshing up regular table meats. And like Rebecca we used alot of beans...pinto beans, black beans, chicpeas (garbanzo beans). Avery still likes chikpeas.

Also, the meats are kind of smooshy with no texture. We mixed with real actual rice (not baby stuff) and that made it better for her. WE also added black pepper...but we had sensory issues and had the ok from the pedi nutritionist to do so. ;-)

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Sun Jan 26, 638296 5:08 am

Zachary refused jar meat as well and I don't blame him! Have you tasted it? Yuck!

I gave him what we ate ground up really well. Chicken and ham were popular (and still are!). If you are trying meat for protein and it just isn't happening, you may want to try different kinds of beans. Peas are a good source too.

F.Y.I. I used the Fresh Baby method to make baby food, we used jar food only a few times. Here is a link, they have good ideas...

http://freshbaby.com/

Return to “After your baby is born .....”