struggling with solids

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
cindyh27

Re : struggling with solids

Postby cindyh27 » Sun Apr 26, 638296 8:35 am

Jana,

Sounds a lot like our son... he went through a phase too where he didn't want to eat much of anything... I finally just 'gave up' and let him eat at his 'own pace'...

Hang in there ((hugs)) to you... btw, I can't believe how big he's grown! You're doing a great job :)

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Apr 26, 638296 4:42 am

Jana, I must confess that I recommended a picnic but have never done it myself for pretty much the same reason. We have 2 little chinese cresteds who LOVE food. And the worst part - Henry LOVES feeding them!!!

So now, we've learned to send the dogs "home" (their crates) in a down-stay while we eat dinner. But Henry still throws food on the floor for them. When we're all done, we let the dogs clean up.

With that being said, can you maybe throw the dog outside for a little bit (not sure how the weather is there) when you get ready for your picnic and then let her in to vacuum up?

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Sat Apr 25, 638296 4:53 am

My DD Carly has always been this way too. She eats chicken nuggets and cheetos for lunch and dinner 7 days a week. She will eat apples for a snack and anything chocolate. She will not drink milk. She will only drink water if you use it to dilute juice which I always do (1/2 and 1/2). The good news is that she is alive and thriving. I used to stress and then finally gave up and let her eat when she wants which is usually on the go. She is high energy and if she has to stop what she is doing for too long to eat, well, she just won't eat. I just give her a vitamin everyday and figure there are kids in thrid world countries who have survived on much less. It does get frustrating but try to relax. Also, they make some formula, I think, for kid who are older than 1 and is formulated for them as they grow. If the formula is what he needs after one year then just keep it going. It will not hurt him and if it helps calm your fears it is well worth it.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Apr 16, 638296 6:00 am

He sounds *exactly* like Nicolas. Seriously, to this day the child wears me out trying to find something that he'll eat. His issues are pretty sensory related (color, texture, etc). He was such a good eater when he had pureed jar foods, then when we stopped those the hunger strikes began. Honestly, though, I remember eating nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a good five years of my life and I survived so it's helped me relax a little bit. He's growing fine, so he's getting enough -- but it sure doesn't look like it.

And about the switch to milk, if he's like Nicolas, he probably will drink as much as he does formula. Nicolas still puts down the milk. We were (and are) always pretty rigid about getting the milk in him and not offering juices because it's solid nutrition.

I can tell you that it's absolutely nothing you are or are not doing, but I know that doesn't make it easier. Keep at him!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Apr 15, 638296 8:00 pm

First, realx, at this age his main nutrition is still formual and as well, if he's not eating much solids at one then you can continue the formula. Cow milk is not as nutritions, and one is not a magic number. Some diskids take a little longer to transition.

Second, many kids don't like textures mixed together. ie puree mixed with chunks - very hard to maneuver. Also, will he try to eat with a spoon, if you give him the spoon?

Third, hopefully he'll pick up on the finger foods. how does he od when he gets a cheerio in his mouth? Does he eat it OK? If os, then you can jsut keep putting out little bits of food for him to try.

Lastly, give his bottle after hsi solids. The hungrier he is, the more likely he is to try new foods

katevans

Postby katevans » Wed Apr 15, 638296 7:55 pm

Jana,
How much milk/formula, juice and water is he getting per day? The reason I ask....my Ped said that Tommy should not drink more than 24oz of milk a day. He drinks 3, 8oz sippy's of milk and about 16oz of H2o. He does not like juice. I was thinking maybe Xander was filling up on liquids.

jana m

Postby jana m » Wed Apr 15, 638296 4:57 pm

Thanks. We have tried cheerios and rice krispies. He's better now than when we started, so there is some progress with that. I also bought one of those mesh feeding bags. Sometimes he's interested, sometimes not. I think he is just so interested in the rest of the world and eating is slowing him down.

I just worry what will happen after he turns one and is no longer on formula. I'm assuming kids don't drink as much milk as they do formula, but how will we ensure he gets proper nutrition?

PS...Alice, a picnic on the floor sounds like so much fun. Not sure how that would work with my food-obsessed two year old black lab. I'm sure she would love it, but xander's dinner would be gone in the blink of an eye! LOL!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Wed Apr 15, 638296 11:01 am

totally agreeing with alice......just relax....i was and do stress over emerson not eating but then he has these new words he says to me.....EAT bite and NOW it is only one day a week that i feel he eats enough and proper balance but he will eat when he wants to....and the best incentive for us was when we just gave up on the baby spoons and forks and handed him a speared piece of sweet potato on my fork, he grabbed the fork and has never looked back......he also has this love of dipping crackers or fruit into what he calls dip, which is yogurt in a bowl, i know your guy is younger but our best luck with foods have been cheese, sweet potatoes, fruit and yogurt all raw or lightly steamed sweet potatoes.....he never would eat the jarred stuff.....how about banana circles cut into quarters on a picnic outside....show him they roll like a wheel and it becomes a toy and food.....lol worked for us! good luck!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Wed Apr 15, 638296 7:50 am

Oh Jana, I remember those days. The only food that was homemade in our house was for Henry - and he wouldn't touch it!!! So I hear ya on the sweet potatoes! Henry LOVED jarred food.

Do you have a vinyl tablecloth (or really clean floors)? Maybe you can do something picnic style, on the floor, no bowls, no silverware, just some food on the floor. Maybe he's just one of those really into everything, prefer to tear the house apart kind of kids (he he) ... I know Henry still eats more "on the run" than he does sitting down.

Also - what about french fries. I know, I know. I hated to feed that to Henry - but he LOVED them!!! or cheerios/rice crispies? Maybe he just likes the crunchy/chewy texture, similar to a baguette?

And my last piece of advice - just relax. Do what works for you guys. Eventually, he will enjoy sitting with you and daddy and all, but right now, sounds to me like he just wants to be him. (Is this an indicator of things to come?!?) :)

jana m

struggling with solids

Postby jana m » Wed Apr 15, 638296 5:10 am

Ladies, I'm wondering if you can offer any advice. I am having a terrible time getting xander to progress with the solid foods. Here are our main issues:

1. He really isn't interested in anything with texture. I've tried a bunch of different things mashed up and he will take one or two bites and then start pushing my hand away. I've tried pasta with meat sauce, chicken soup mashed up, I've tried grinding up lentils and/or rice and mixing it in with his pureed sweet potatoes and not alot of luck. I've also tried mashed potatoes, pieces of chicken, veggies and potatoes ground together, pancakes, etc. He has gnawed happily on the end of a baguette a couple of times, but I always worry about him biting off too big of a chunk.

2. He isn't really interested in finger foods either. I always put things on his tray and he doesn't really try to put anything in his mouth. He is getting better with his pincer grasp, but not too interested in the food.

3. He starts whining after only a few minutes in his booster seat. He's so busy and distracted that it's like a high-impact workout for me trying to get any food in his mouth. I understand that sitting in his chair takes valuable time away from him tearing my house apart :-), but he has to eat, right?

Also, the smarty-pants even knows the difference between the sweet potatoes from the jar and ones that I've made. He won't eat mine!!

We've been making a real effort to sit down and eat with him and give him a lot of positive reinforcement when he does eat. Like I said, he is not too happy sitting still, but as soon as I take him out of the chair, the whining stops and he's a happy guy.

I guess I'm wondering if this is typical. I have to be honest, meal-time has become really stressful for me and I sometimes feel myself loosing patience. I know I've joked before about him eating stage two pureed food until he was 5, but I didn't really mean it!! :-)

I'm ready to move away from the jar, but he isn't. I know it will probably take time, but is there anything I can do to smooth the transition?

Thanks for your help as always.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”