Sippy cup issues Please HELP!

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mommiesangel

Re : Sippy cup issues Please HELP!

Postby mommiesangel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:54 am

Sorry been so busy lately with little miss crawl everywhere that I don't have a moment to sit down LOL!

Gabrielle is doing ok with the Nubies, I found ones that are 3 in one pack. They have a nipple, straw and regular sippy. I threw away the nipple part right away (LOL) and have been using the straw and sippy. I had to poke a bigger hole in both so when she bites down on them she will get water. She seems to be doing quite well on them. Sometimes she even sucks the regular sippy. WHoohooo. Now if we can only get her to chew her regular food instead of storing them in her cheeks we would be set!

jana m

Postby jana m » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 am

Hallie,
I was just wondering how Gabriella was doing with her cup. Update us if you can!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 03:11 pm

Hallie-first, don't beat yourself up about this one. She will get it eventually. You are doing all of the right things by offering her different choices. I agree with the others. While in that perfect world kids have gladly given up bottles and pacifiers by 12 months, in reality, if the bottle doesn't go for a few months, or years for that matter, so be it. My oldest had the bottle and "nuk" until well after two. She is now the most confident, and outspoken-and well spoken, I might add:) 21 year old I know. Love her and enjoy her. Let your mommy instinct rule. From what I "read" of you, you are doing an awesome job with her. And, she is a beauty, by the way!

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:55 pm

It has been a long time since I did the sippy cup thing, so I am not entirely familiar with what is out there now, but with my boys, the ones with the hard plastic part where they drink from worked the best. The nipple ones were too much like the other thing...breast or occasional bottle, so that didn't fly. It was something totally different and it seemed to work for my kids...at that age, they were sooo into trying new things anyway. We also moved on to the straws as well. Good luck :)

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 am

hmm. I'm certainly not an OT so I base my opinion on what my kids did. Tara did need to see a speech pathologist when she was 4 for a few months because she couldn't make k or g sounds. She's also in a french speaking school, and they're not sounds that are used in french. Once she understood how to make the sounds all was ok. Rowan was fine. Tara however, needed to be taught how to suck when she was in the NICU too, so I figured the two were related.

I agree with the mess of an open cup. My 3 year old still puts food/fingers/spoons into her cup at every meal and it drives me nuts. We use the hard plastic cups with lids and built in straws for all of the kids in the car!

I still think that if you try one type of sippy cup for 2 days and they don't get it, wait a few days (perhaps weeks) and then try again. Kids can go from showing no ability in something to complete control so quickly sometimes. I stressed about Maeve only having 1 or 2 words at 18 months and by 20 months she was using full sentences.

Good luck

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am

andrea,

we were told by ot that the language skills might be delayed from extended bottle use and that most sippy cups are just bottles in disguise since they require sucking, they wanted us to be in open cups for all things other than water, and since water has no calories we were never pushing water since we were always trying to get food into our son and the open cup was just soooo messy we went against their directives and kept using the bottles, there is loads of social pressure to get them drinking from sippy cups in our area, but the whole theory is that once your child can drink without sucking they can develop better muscle control and thus learn different speech sounds with these new muscles, at least that is what we were told, but our son is in no way speech delayed and still is not great with an open cup because i just hate the mess he makes.....or food he plops in there or hands or elbows, we use the gerber sip and smile cups and they require suction to work.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:20 am

These cups are the ones I used when I started both kids on sippy cups. They reuqire only some cuking - as the liquid comes out a little when the cup is tipped.

http://shop.learningcurve.com/product/d ... cale=en_US

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:11 am

First of all I agree with Andrea. Each baby is different and some are not ready at the "magic" 12 months.

That being said, one hting you can try to see if it helps her udnerstnad sippy cups - is offer it to her without the valve in it. My kids did not get at first that there was anything in the cup - because nothing came out - and they had no idea they had to suck on it. Most sippy cups with valves are very hard to get the liquid out of - in fact I've ehard at times that they can cause problems wiht mouth development -a s it's not natural to suck like that all the time.

I also used cups that did not require valves - so the liquid slowly dripped out anyway. I foudn that truly spill proof cups were only needed when I took them out and about (I preferred a no spill cup for the car.) At home they sat to frink and so a little dripping didn't bug me.

One more thing to remember, bottles are different from sippy cups and she may still really like the comfort of sucking on the bottle. There is nothing worng with that - although pediatricians are really big on it ending right at a year. Go with you gut on what your baby needs.

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:29 am

Hello, maybe I've missed an earlier thread, why is it important to get her off a bottle and drinking water? I know with all of mine they had a bottle morning and night until they were at least 3. They liked bottles. They did learn to drink from cups during the day, but we didn't even start that until they were well over 14 months corrected. We didn't switch the twins to milk from formula until there were closer to 18 months corrected even though they were eating solids. As they say with any milestone, try it (and maybe try a few kinds of sippy cups) for a few days and if she doesn't take to it, leave it for a week or 2 and then re-introduce it again. When they're ready they're ready and they'll let you know. Good luck.

katevans

Postby katevans » Mon Jul 07, 2008 06:37 am

I second the straw cups. We use the playtex one. They don't leak and keep fluids fairly cold w/o ice. Also, Tommy is 18 months old, and still will not drink anything other than milk or water.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”