birth control

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
kdreher

Re : birth control

Postby kdreher » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:12 am

I was opting for an IUD (10 yr Mirena) but my OBGYN said NO as I've have an ectopic pregnancy before. Just wondering..are you DONE with having children? I had the essure done about 2 months ago and it was great. Better option than having a tubal. It has been very successful with my GYN's office and it's done in the office, no surgery.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:39 pm

I know this wasn't your questions. I have the mirena, even with a couple blood clotting disorders, and it's wonderful. One of our other moderators has a paraguard and I think she really likes it. The mirena has hormone, but not estrogen, and it's localized to the uterus area. The best part about it is no periods. I had horrible periods, so I couldn't do a paraguard. I would do an IUD again in a second.

halo79rn

Postby halo79rn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Paraguard. I knew I didn't want the pill. I went through a few before babies and didn't like how they made me feel. (dry) I went in asking about Mirena. He said with my history, he recommended paraguard. insertion was on day 3 of my period. it was uncomfortable... one period when he was measuring did it feel painful. I took motrin prior to leaving the house for my appt. I had heavier, crampier periods for a few months.. but now... 8 months later... my periods are like normal (my normal)... 4-5days, one or two heavy days, then light, some cramping, but not bad. I'm pleased.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 05:04 pm

I had paraguard. I'd do it again, even with the long and heavy periods, though I do believe we're going to do something a little more permanent instead.

I've heard about people who got pregnant after they BOTH got snipped. It happens. Just not very often!

joker

birth control

Postby joker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 am

Anyone use the paraguard IUD? My OB is recommending this for me. She won't put me on the pill because my bp is still a little elevated and prefers paraguard to mirena because it is hormone free. I've read some mixed things about it, including at least one person who has gotten pregnant on it. (Scary). OB basically said either the paraguard or condoms and I just don't want to use condoms.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”