Emergency c/s and when ready to TTC?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
darateacher

Re : Emergency c/s and when ready to TTC?

Postby darateacher » Tue Nov 16, 638286 12:33 pm

I'm thinking of putting in two embies, because that's about how many out of 3 will probably make it through the thaw. After my c/s the doctor took 10 viles of blood from me to test for underlying issues. Turns out, all of my clotting tests turned out normal. So, that's good! The lupus test was borderline-normal, but the doc said that's probably due to the hcg still in my body. Says the hormones can and usually do, throw off the lupus test. I have to retake it on March 10th at my pp visit. What other tests have you all taken? If I've had these tests already, and the results are normal, would it still be recommended to do a preconception high risk OB app't?

jana m

Postby jana m » Tue Nov 16, 638286 8:21 am

I had multiples with my first pg and had the worst possible outcome. My second pregnancy was a singleton and I had no PE issues. Was it the fact that it was just a singleton? Was it the heparin? The extra folic acid? I'm not sure we'll ever know. Fiona is right though, multiples put you at much higher risk for PE because there is so much more placenta. When you do your FET or IVF fresh cycle, you might want to talk to your fertility doctor about how many embryo's you want to transfer so that you can minimize your risks.

jana m

Postby jana m » Tue Nov 16, 638286 8:16 am

Cathy,
I had terrible PTL with my triplets. I was on strict bedrest, terb pump and then mag when it got out of control. I got lucky with Xander and was able to get by for about 5 weeks or so on just Procardia. What is the P17 shot? I've never heard of that before.

Dara, I'm not sure about your uterus question, but that's something to talk to your doc about. My peri sent me for an HSG after I delivered my girls to rule out blockages or excessive scarring. I also second Fiona in that you get tested for underlying disorders if you haven't already. The more information you can equip yourself with before attempting another pregnancy, the better of you and your doctor will be.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Nov 16, 638286 7:02 am

Dara, multiples are another risk factor for preeclampsia. How early and how severe would be guesswork, but the earlier and more severe in your first pregnancy, the higher the risk.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Tue Nov 16, 638286 3:20 am

Thanks! Was told by one OB that I couldn't have twins the next time. They said that it was because of all I've been through with the c/s, the placenta, and the PE. If I happen to get pg with twins, would that make my chances higher of getting PE early on in the pg? or, would it be more likely that I'd get it third trimester, if my bp and weight are controlled? Thanks!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Nov 05, 638286 10:47 pm

Dara,

I had a classical (vertical incision) with Nate and only waited 2 months before ttc. It took another 5 months to get pregnant (without intervention). I did get preeclampsia again, but managed an extra 4 weeks and no IUGR - he's a strapping 9-year-old now.

I really recommend you get tested for underlying disorders before going through treatment - IVF does raise your risk of pe and if you have a funky clotting issue or autoimmune disorder chugging away as well, forewarned really is forearmed.

I hope you get an easier ride next time.

katevans

Postby katevans » Fri Nov 05, 638286 5:59 pm

Dara,
I am sorry for the loss of your little Aaron. I lost our first daughter to this disease. I got pregnant right at the six month mark of my emergency c-section. I did not have PE or HELLP with my second pregnancy, but I did have issues with pre-term labor. They believe it's because my uterus only had 6-months to heal. Tommy was born at 36 weeks and did not have any issues. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and I am taking the P17 shot to help against PTL. Good luck with everything.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 05, 638286 4:45 pm

Thanks, Jana. I'm sorry for your losses, too. I'm praying soooo hard that the embies we have will stick. We have 3 embies frozen. We'll wait it out until 6 months. I'm wondering one other thing....can a u/s determine if your uterus is healing or healed already?

I'm a teacher, and would hate to have to take time off from work to get pg again. That's what happened last year with Aaron!

Dara

jana m

Postby jana m » Fri Nov 05, 638286 2:10 pm

Dara,
My first pregnancy was triplets (IVF babies) and I got severe PE and HELLP (emergency c/s). I lost all three of my girls within a week of their birth. I was pregnant again (this time with a singleton, fresh IVF cycle) exactly 6 months after I had my girls. Before my sucessful second pregnancy, we did a FET that was not successful (so I was basically trying again after 4 months). There's really no way to tell whether or not FET will work if your fresh cycle was successful. Embryo's are not crazy about being frozen and there is no way to tell whether or not they will survive the thawing or implant. Mine "totsicles" did, but it still did not result in pregnancy. The best advice I can give you with regard to that is to just try and keep your expectations in check, because FET's can be a touch and go thing.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's just so devastating and I'm sorry you can't have your little boy here with you.

darateacher

Emergency c/s and when ready to TTC?

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 05, 638286 11:30 am

Hi, all. I'm thinking ahead to July or August to start TTC after an emergency c/s. Our one and only DS passed away two weeks ago after the c/s, due to placenta insufficiency and PE. The peris in the MFM, right now, think that the insufficiency caused the PE to come on so suddenly. I didn't have any visible symptoms other than protein in urine and high bp.

Anyway, wanted to know how many of you started TTC in 5 months rather than 6 months after an emergency c/s and had a healthy pg? The peris are more worried now about my possibly getting pg with twins, because we're going to use FET and IVF (if necessary). I'm hoping the FET works the first time. Btw, do you think that because the IVF worked for us the first time, the FET will as well? I hope so!

We'd love to give our Aaron Julius a little brother or sister to watch after from heaven.

Dara

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”