Anyone have Graves Disease?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
amandamm

Re: Anyone have Graves Disease?

Postby amandamm » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing your story!!!

I had the RAI, and my thyroid is still a little hyper, but my endo isn't concerned with it. I am pregnant again, and my MFM is not at all concerned with my thyroid since it is treated.... so hopefully we will get a great outcome and no pre-e!
Mom to Addie & Evie, Pre-E x2 (34w6d & 37w2d)
due December 28, 2011!
In our hearts forever: missed miscarriage @ 10 weeks (July 2008) & miscarriage at 7 weeks (February 2009)

Addie Lu & Evie Too ~ Deda's Little Duds

susie

Re: Anyone have Graves Disease?

Postby susie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 01:27 am

Hi Amanda,

I'm a few months late here but hopefully my story is still useful.

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease while trying to conceive my first. I was put on meds to bring the thyroid down for about 2 months, then had an almost total thyroidectomy. I conceived about 2 months later.

My pregnancies have gone as follows;
1. PE at 36wks, BP and protein, no other symptoms, hospital bedrest then induced at 37wks.
2. PE at 36wks, BP and protein, some visual disturbances, hospital bedrest then induced at 37wks.
3. Hypertension at 33wks, hospital bedrest then induced at 37wks. Labour was bad, almost didn't try again.
4. Hypertension at 4wks, swelling and bedrest from 31wks in and out of hospital, induced at 35wks, needed mag drip and about 10 days in hospital, baby was actually released before me.

My hubby was very concerned about my choice to have a 4th baby but it thankfully worked out ok. No plans to go again though. The kids are now aged 14,13,10 and 7, all doing fine.

I'm currently on meds for BP, but that's more recent and more to do with being overweight I think. I haven't been on thyroid meds for about 4 years, it seems to be behaving itself.

kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Anyone have Graves Disease?

Postby kara » Tue Oct 12, 2010 02:52 pm

Hi Amanda,

I don't have Graves, but I think one or two of our members do, and will be along shortly, I'm sure. Having something to treat is good. Your chances may increase with the thyroid in check. Especially considering how far you got in your last pregnancy.

amandamm

Anyone have Graves Disease?

Postby amandamm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 08:03 am

Not sure where to post this...

In the last month I found out I have Graves Disease. I am still nursing so I cannot get my thyroid taken care of until I am done in November.

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there with it to share their experience. I would really like another baby... but with all these things adding up, my husband is super nervous about it.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”