Disabilty

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
claricemaala

Re: Disabilty

Postby claricemaala » Mon Apr 13, 639237 1:00 pm

Thanks Rebecca. I am sorry to hear about your first baby but congratulation on your second!
Was there anything different you did to prepare for your second baby? Were you on any special medication?
I am trying to get preggo. Lost my son last year after being born at 31 weeks. I have thumbs up this year but I am trying to settle all my financial issues like getting my disability in a row. My doc says he may put me out much earlier. So I am preparing but I am so physicaly ready to get preggo.
Mom to 6 year old. Born at 33 1/2 weeks after preeclampsia and abruptio placenta.
Angel boy -Michael- born 2/1/2010 at 31 weeks. Had pre eclampsia and hospital bedrest at 27 weeks. Died due to NEC. Forever loved and missed
Rainbow baby due Feb 2012. Hoping for a looooonnnnnnngggg uneventful pregnancy.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sun Apr 12, 639237 5:27 pm

When I had preeclampsia I was working full time and had disability through work, so I don't have much to over about the actual disability insurance. However, when I got pregnant with baby #2, I quit my job and had to get private life insurance. Since I was pregnant my cholesterol and something else (sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the 2nd thing) were elevated when they did my qualifying blood work. I spoke to my OB about it and like your Dr he said it was normal for it to be elevated during pregnancy. It did NOT affect my eligibility and I was still qualified for a decent rate--either the best or 2nd best--even with the elevated b/w, history of preeclampsia, and subsequent CHTN. I was 35 at the time.
Becky
Mom to...
baby girl Addison 3/11/09-3/11/09 (severe preeclampsia 26w5d)
baby boy Aden 5/25/10 (35w6d low amniotic fluid)
baby boy #2 due 7/4/11

claricemaala

Postby claricemaala » Fri Apr 03, 639237 2:43 am

Thank you ladies for the insightful replies. So that is where I am at right now before trying my next baby. Need to be rock steady before the next one.
I am just worried that they would view preeclampsia as a disability. Right now. I am waiting for approval. They have noticed that my liver enzymes were up at a certain point. Told them and my doc told me that is normal after pregnancy especially a preeclampsia episode. So I am in the waiting game. It is so nerve wrecking especially my doc gave me thumbs up to have baby (and he is pushing for me to start or at least have it before my 38 birthday). So stressful.

:cry:
Mom to 6 year old. Born at 33 1/2 weeks after preeclampsia and abruptio placenta.
Angel boy -Michael- born 2/1/2010 at 31 weeks. Had pre eclampsia and hospital bedrest at 27 weeks. Died due to NEC. Forever loved and missed

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Mon Jan 12, 639237 3:09 am

I also have short and long term through my job. I did not have it last time and we were financially ruined. This time I had to stop working at 20 weeks and have been on short term disability since. It pays 60% of my salary for 6 months and then I have to switch to long term. Hopefully I'll be back to work by then though. The governmant type programs, unless you are disabled I think for 6 months or put on dialysis, you will not qualify.
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Mon Jan 12, 639237 2:25 am

i am lucky in that i have the opportunity to purchase both short and long term disability insurance through my job with no chance of being declined. if you don't have it through your job you can purchase it elsewhere, but i pretty sure the government's disability program is for those people with long term/permanent disabilities.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed

jean

Postby jean » Sun Jan 11, 639237 11:50 pm

My work does not provide it. But I was wondering, can a person apply for it elsewhere? If I get put on bedrest and need extra time off of work, can I file w/the government or some kind of program out there?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/

lizard

Postby lizard » Sun Jan 11, 639237 4:13 pm

my doc wrote me a note to stop working at 28wks. i have been receiving disability since then. i believe that is all it takes. i am thru kaiser so they have a business office that does all the work for you.

claricemaala

Disabilty

Postby claricemaala » Wed Dec 31, 639236 3:24 pm

I am wondering if there are any ladies out there who ahvae disability insurance. I am planning to get pregnant again and I know it was horrible for us financially being on bedrest and not vbeing able to work. Just wondering if anybopdy knows of a good disability insurnace. Has anybody been declined due to preeclampsia orhistory or eclampsia/HEELP?

I have recently atrempted to apply . They did the bloods but I think they may decline me due to elevated liver enzymes. I am seeing a cardiologist now and he said that liver enzymes and/ lipid panel like chol and trig may get wacky after pregnancy more so after preeclampsia. BUT nevertheless, they might decline me due to this.

So I do not know what to do?

Anybody else experienced this? :roll:

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”