two year theory

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

two year theory

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 07:52 pm

Does anyone know if this only applies to pregnancies where you had preeclampsia or is it for every pregnancy you have? I am definitely NOT trying again right now, but I want to know if it would work to wait a few years. I don't want to increase my chances of getting preeclampsia after having a PE free pregnancy. I have no idea why I am even thinking about this with a 3 month old baby at home, but I just wanted to know if any of you knew.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: two year theory

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:45 pm

It's any pregnancy - the idea is that the remodeling of the spiral arteries is most robust for the first two years after a pregnancy. That said, I know they've seen persistent effects even 7 years out in some studies.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby danielsmom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 am

Hey Christa,
I just wanted to chime in that I think it's completely normal to be thinking about this, even when you know its not going to happen for awhile. I felt some pressure by that two-year theory. I always felt that I wanted to have another child, but I couldn't imagine how I would be able to do it, even up to the point when Daniel was 2. Then this magical thing happened and he became so self-sufficient! We tried again when he was about 2 1/2, and all is well at 33 weeks!
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Postby ross123 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 am

well my doctor gave me 10 years to have another child, my son is 11 and so far i had 2 miscarige due to preclampisia .but my perinatology said wait 6 months .
ross123

Postby riehlism » Fri May 04, 2012 00:52 am

I've been thinking about that too, Christa. I am nowhere near thinking about another little one. But it's something that needs to be planned for on the horizon. Thanks for asking the question.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby afaiz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 00:42 am

Hey lady's

This might be a dumb question, but 2 years from delivery are from when you get pregnant?
afaiz

Postby torian0319 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 06:03 am

I had my second child seven yrs later and still had PE. I do not believe the two year theory. I do believe that every pregnancy is different and that your chances of getting PE for subsequent pregnancies does not necessarily decline, in fact, it still places you at high risk. But, I am just one story....others may have experienced differently. Good luck if you do try and enjoy your beautiful baby :).

Torian
torian0319

Postby hfeather2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:11 pm

I'm new to the forum, so I have to ask...what is the 2-yr theory?

Heather
Mom to Jack, born at 28 5/7 weeks due to severe pre-e
hfeather2

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:32 pm

Welcome!

It's the hypothesis that pregnancies conceived within 2 years of a preeclamptic pregnancy are less likely to become complicated than pregnancies occurring after that time.

Since these syndromes (PE, HELLP, what used to be called PIH and is now called GH for gestational hypertension) are thought to be driven by a shallow implantation of the placenta that results in symptoms as the fetus packs on weight, and since the bit of the uterus that the first placenta implanted into retains some of the changes of pregnancy for a few years and is easier for a second placenta to exploit, some docs will suggest conceiving again within a few years to try to avoid a repeat case. It depends, though, on both your individual pregnancy history, and the explanatory instincts of your care providers. Some of 'em don't think this is the primary problem, although it's becoming more and more well-supported as research progresses.

Here's a few more links: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43429
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43355
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45487

Hope this helps!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia