Page 1 of 1

Re: After near-death twice, I want a third.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 08:53 pm
by kelsey.barbare
I know how you feel. I had Pre-e and HELLP syndrome in my first pregnancy and had to deliver by emergency c-section at 33 weeks, Zoey only weighed 4lbs7oz. She had a very short 10 day stay in the special care nursery but is now a healthy, happy 4 year old. I was warned by my OB at the time that I should not try again due to how severe my case was and if I did decide to try again they would not take me as a patient. Fast forward 3 years and I was pregnant again. This time I found a High Risk clinic and thought I would be receiving the best care possible considering my previous condition. Unfortunately, I was wrong. For the last month I was pregnant I consistently had hight BP but every time I called the office I was told it was due to dehydration because of how hot it was and I should relax and drink more water. When I went to L&D my BP had gone down but they noticed my baby's heart rate was dropping. They did a BPP and saw that she had no amniotic fluid, had IUGR and was only measuring 22-23 weeks along when I was actually 27 weeks and 1 day. When my labs came back they saw I had developed severe pre-e again and said she had to come out right then, I had a emergency c-section again. Maddie was barely a pound at 15.9 ounces and 10 inches long. She cried as soon as she came out and I was so relieved to hear that sound. As they were finishing up a NICU nurse came in and told my husband and I that she was doing great, did fantastic on her APGAR and only needed a bubble CPAP for breathing, no oxygen. The NICU nicknamed her Mighty Mouse since she was so tiny and at the time we hadn't picked a name since she was so early. I thought everything would be fine, that she would grow and fight just like her big sister did and would be coming home close to her due date. Unfortunately, she got an infection in her intestines that turned into NEC and she passed away a day before she would have been a month old. I miss her everyday and I know I need time to let my body heal and deal with the grief but all that has been on my mind is having another child. I don't want to replace her by any means but I want a sibling for my daughter. I've been told that if I see an MFM they can do testing before we plan to conceive to see if I have any underlying problems that could cause pre-eclampsia but there would be no way to tell if I would develop it again. According to my High Risk OB I would most likely get it again but sooner than last time and more severe, just like it happened with Maddie. I'm sorry for the long rant, I wish you the best and hope that somehow we are both able to have another happy and healthy pregnancy and babies.

After near-death twice, I want a third.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 04:08 am
by ravenrodulfo
With my first daughter in 2002, I had pre-e for the last month of pregnancy, but she was still carried to term, with the doctors not catching it until she was born at 4 lbs 4 oz. With my 2nd, it set in much earlier, around 3 - 4 months. I wasn't able to get to the doctor often, as wasn't monitored very closely and it spiraled. I went to the ER when the pain was so bad I could no longer deal with it, and they found that not only did I have pre-e, I was about to have a stroke because my blood pressure was so high, and I'd leaked out nearly all my fluid. They had to do a c-section that night. I flatlined on the operating table, and my daughter was technically stillborn, but one doctor refused to give up on her and got enough response to get her on life support. I spent 3 months in a wheelchair recovering from post-op blood clots. My daughter spent a month in the NICU and was born 2 lbs 13 oz. She's 13 now and has autism, though I don't know if it had anything to do with her birth.

I'm about to get remarried, and I would LIKE to try again one day (not soon, but eventually). I don't know if I have any chance of a normal pregnancy, or at the very least if it can be treated now in a way to make it safer. The doctor back then told me do NOT try again, but if there's a chance, I would like to know.