Smoking Reduces the Risk of HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
lilysmommymindy

Re : Smoking Reduces the Risk of HELLP?

Postby lilysmommymindy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:11 am

Lol, nitrous oxide, that'd be AWESOME! Lol! There are a lot of Coloradoans on this board! I had no idea! :) I'm totally down to hit up the Pearl St Mall, I haven't been there in years!

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 04:30 pm

http://pittmed.health.pitt.edu/Summer_2009/the_dark_side.pdf

This is fun and accessible reading on the role of nitrates in cardiovascular health. One potential future application might be in the control of pulmonary hypertension in preemies.... and you know we'd have a vested interest in that!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 02:02 pm

Hee, that should be nitric oxide!

I've been tutoring AP chemistry this year; you'd think I'd quit making little mistakes like that, but not so much. :)

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:25 am

... I'm wondering now if laughing gas is considered safe in early pregnancy? ! ?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 01:09 pm

They are indeed researching this pretty heavily, but it's tricky because they can't randomize women into either smoking or not smoking. :)

It doesn't seem to be the nicotine per se -- but something to do with the nitrous oxide pathway.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

There is quite some Coloradoans on this thread. I am here, too. Maybe we should have a meeting and demonstrate on Pearl Street Mall? (By the way there is no cloth diaper shop :-(, but - great idea! )

But to the topic - if is really helps, than this would be a great opportunity to find out what it is and learn from it. I think nicotine dilates your capillaries, so there could be some link? Is somebody looking into this? Are the adverse outcomes in babies of smoking mothers related to the nicotine or other smoke ingredients?

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 08:15 pm

Jamie I agree, there's much more risk by smoking than the benefit that it might help hellp! I think I'll steer clear of both first and second hand smoke pregnant or not!

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Wed Mar 24, 2010 02:50 pm

It is all in the risk vs benefits...

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Mar 24, 2010 01:27 pm

This discussion is too funny! Well my mom never had PE with me or my brothers and she smoked - but we were all sickly babies - yep probably from the cigs (even though she quit or cut down in all her pregnancies). She went into labor with me at 36 weeks and I was only 4 lb 11 ounces, my brother was born at 35 weeks at 5 lbs 1 ounce and the other brother made it to 37 weeks and was 7 lbs 1 ounce.

Me and the 7- pounder have had chronic respitory issues our whole lives, I am now asthmatic and I think my brother will be diagnosed soon. Me and the 5-pounder have had issues with having unexplained seizures (thankfully only once each - knock on wood).

So as far as I am concerned, the risks of smoking causing placental insufficiency, IUGR and premature labor (with all the fun of under developed lungs as I think me and my brother had) is just too much to add on to the risk of pre-e. Just my opinion of why the risk/ benefit ratio isn't worth it.

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 am

Teresa- Lol! Yeah it is a great visual...isn't it? Smoking is nasty as * but I'd be more willing to do that than go vegan! I love my dairy products entirely too much to ever consider giving them up! It's funny that you talk about the Boulder elitist attitude, I was listening to BJ, Howie and Erica on my way to work yesterday and they were talking about this study called the Meanie Greenie...the more green people are the more likely they are to be mean! The end of the study said, "Never trust a tree hugging hippie!" Lol! That's Boulder in a nutshell! Are you guys currently in Golden? How do you like it?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”