What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re : What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby annegarrett » Wed Jun 04, 2003 06:48 pm

The pain is called "epigastric" by the medical field.

"Epi"--A prefix, meaning upon, beside, among, on the outside, above, over and
"gastric": Of, pertaining to, or situated near, the stomach; as, the gastric artery.
"epigastic" (a) The whole upper part of the abdomen

The pain can be quite acute (intense) and sustained. It is generally most severe under the right rib and may be mistaken for severe heartburn, gallstones, or a gallbladder problem, the flu, or even back pain. Sometimes the pain will press on a nerve that refers to the shoulder and you will also get pain in the shoulder (right shoulder only) along the bra strap line (I like to call it the Vulcan Death Grip pain). Sometimes this pain can feel like a pulled muscle--or even the usual aches and pains of a stretching abdomen, too much Chinese food, or a general malaise. For me--the pain was intense and I couldn't lie on my right side.

Hope that helps. It would be interesting to hear what other women say about their pain.

What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby sarina » Wed Jun 04, 2003 03:51 pm

I'm trying to keep an eye on things since I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and I developed preeclampsia during my last pregnancy.

I'm wondering what the abdominal pain with HELLP feels like?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”