PCOS & Metformin

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Re : PCOS & Metformin

Postby jenndola » Sun Aug 07, 2005 06:28 pm

Sue, as someone who counts Metformin every day, I can tell you that at least the XR version doesn't smell like rotting fish! We've had people bring their bottles in and tell us their prescriptions have gone bad, and we have to tell them to trust us, it ALWAYS smells that bad. The XR also isn't much bigger than the 1000 mg tab. Just a little more chalky. Don't ask me why I'm telling you this, since it's not available to you anyway, but sometimes I need to dump information from my brain! [;)]

molly419

Postby molly419 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 03:30 pm

I have PCOS, but actually got pregnant quite easily...two weeks after I went off of BC. Needless to say, my doctor was very suprised and warned me that it might not be so easy the next time. My husband and I are thinking about TTC, and I will keep Metformin in mind if we need some extra help

sjs40

Postby sjs40 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 06:10 am

Thanks for the replies. It is good to know of success stories!

Grace, I know what you mean about the side-effects. I am only on 500 at the moment but am having a few problems with it. I need to get up to 1000 or even 1500. I have heard that the XR version is far better re side effects, but they don't prescribe it here in UK. Not sure I could take it anyway as I am hopeless at swallowing pills whole!

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 08:32 am

No answers from my end but I just wanted to jump on your band of goodluckers and add my good luck, take care of yourself and keep us updated!

grace04

Postby grace04 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 06:03 pm

Hi Sue -

I have PCOS and am on Metformin. I was on 500 g but it wasn't enough so the upped me to 1000. Then I got sick!! So NOW I am on a time-release capsule (1000 grams) and it is working great!! This will be my first month with no clomid and only Metformin so I am excited to see what happens [:D]

Keep me posted!

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Thu Aug 04, 2005 02:53 pm

I have a very good friend with PCOS who struggled for 6 years to get pregnant, including all kinds of fertility treatments (Clomid, AI, etc.) She succeeded twice in getting pregnant, but miscarried both times (and one ectopic pregnancy). She went on metformin, and for the first time in her life, her cylces were very regular. She conceived naturally in two months after being on the medication. She's now 31 weeks along with a big, healthy baby boy and has had a picture-perfect pregnancy. I believe for some PCOS sufferers, this medication can work miracles. I'll keep you in my prayers.

melissam

Postby melissam » Thu Aug 04, 2005 01:25 pm

Sue,

I really hope it works too. I don't have any answers for you. I just got my PCOS labs back and they said it was all fine. Which I guess is a good thing...I just hate that things are so off without any explaination.

Good luck and keep us posted. I sure hope we have a baby boom next month.

sjs40

PCOS & Metformin

Postby sjs40 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:50 am

I just wondered if any of the ladies with PCOS are on Metformin? I just started it this week and have high hopes! My main hope is that it helps with weightloss, but I also hope that by acting on the insulin problems it improves my hormones and therefore ovulation...

On my ttc quest, I have also arranged for a progesterone test this month as I have consistently short luteal phase.

I really hope it works!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”