Public swimming pools and preemies?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
mommyboo

Re : Public swimming pools and preemies?

Postby mommyboo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 01:28 am

We're in Utah AND freezing non-stop snow.
I guess we won't be doing much swimming this year. We took our kids swimming a couple times last year. Why did I never hear about this?

mommiesangel

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 07:44 pm

Cool thanks everyone the boys (her cousins) will be super excited to hear that she can go swimming w/them this summer (and mommy can get outta the house). [:D]

Nope, we don't live in Utah--we are in freezing non stop snow grrr Ohio!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 05:08 pm

we take our son in lakes, locally and on vacation...oh and a swimming pool at a hotel and a friends pool, we got this orange baby float that was marked down at a discount store for being too small and it was perfect for him......the itty bitty leg holes were perfect, we have a lifevest but he hates it cause it is just too much around the neck and he cannot see over it......but hopefully this summer it will fit better since he has grown!

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Wed Feb 27, 2008 04:47 pm

Ouch, Jenn's right! Children under five were actually banned from all public swimming pools for a couple of months. It was terrible.

Sorry to give you horror stories, Hallie. As long as you're not in Utah, I would say that it should be fine.

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Wed Feb 27, 2008 04:38 pm

It's probably fine as long as it's not a Utah pool--we had a nasty cryptosporidium outbreak in public pools last year, and it gave hundreds of people the runs.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 03:12 pm

I took Ansley to the pool last summer, always when no one else was there (we have a pool in our community) Tom or i would hold her and kind move around with her and she LOVED it, Looking foward to doing it this summer now that she is older.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 27, 2008 02:41 pm

One other thing...she may freak out about the expanse of the pool (even if she's cool with baths). And we make our DD wear a life jacket when she is in the pool, with us right next to her. ;-)

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 am

Hallie,
I don't see why she couldn't go to the pool. Check with the pedi. And makes sure you get all the chlorine off her when you are finished swimming.

mommiesangel

Public swimming pools and preemies?

Postby mommiesangel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

With crossing fingers, toes and doggy paws we are hoping summer is right around the corner. My nephews love to go swimming (ones on a swim team) and I was hoping that Gabrielle can swim with them. Is it safe to put a preemie in a public pool?

Return to “Parents of Preemies”