New here! Question for the experts about BP readings

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New here! Question for the experts about BP readings

Postby featherbride » Thu Jan 17, 2013 01:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was sent here from another forum, hoping that that you all could shed some light on some recent BP readings I've been getting!

I had a docs appt on Monday, and BP reading was 112/72. Yesterday (Weds) I woke up and fainted, so I stayed home from work. 8 hours later I went to the closest drug store and had my BP tested... 141/64 (heart rate 106). That reading seemed odd to me, so I went back again today (Thurs) and got a reading of135/99 which REALLY scared me.. .took the test again a minute later and it went down to 128/74 (heart rate 136)

What is going on? Should I be concerned? This is my first pregnancy and I've had friends who have had PE, so it's a huge concern of mine and something I know I cannot take lightly. Also, I'm 23 weeks along.

I should add that I have been suffering from mild anxiety for about 5 years, nothing too bad.. but maybe that's affecting the readings??

Everyones telling me I'm overreacting, but I feel as though you guys can help. If I'm overreacting please tell me, that will calm my nerves. And if it sounds like something that should be of concern please let me know that too. I live in Canada and we do not have a L&D (I think thats what people have been calling it on this forum?). We just have regular emergency rooms, which literally (no joke) I will be in the waiting room for 4-6 hours waiting to see a doctor.

featherbride

Re: New here! Question for the experts about BP readings

Postby EmilyBear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:45 pm

Hi there,

How far along are you? What city in Canada? I live near Ottawa and could give lots of suggestions.

Laura
EmilyBear

Postby featherbride » Thu Jan 17, 2013 03:53 pm

Hi laura! Thanks so much for the reply!

Im 23 weeks, and live in london, ontario.

Im currently at Shoppers using the BP machine yet again. 138/88 this time, heart rate 112
featherbride

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 04:26 pm

I would put in a call to your doc and report the numbers and ask what your doc thinks would be best, because a HR of 136 is high enough to wonder if you've got tachycardia (and you must feel miserable!) That plus the fainting and the elevated pressures make me wonder if you've caught a bug - not that preeclampsia isn't *also* a risk and worth ruling out, but a sudden spike like that with other symptoms like fainting can often be a nasty virus as well. It's also possible that you've got some pregnancy-induced tachycardia which would be treatable with beta blockers (which are safe in pregnancy.)

L&D stands for "labor and delivery" here.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Jan 17, 2013 05:18 pm

I agree, when in doubt, give your doctor a call. I'm sure they would want you to report the fainting anyway. It will also giv you peace of mind, and while pregnant that is always worth it! :)
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby EmilyBear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:04 pm

I'm sure London, Ontario has a high risk unit. **** University is there so I would be really surprised if it did not. I lost my little Emily at 34 weeks because my hospital in a town outside Ottawa did not move quick enough but I am pregnant again and being followed at the High Rick Unit at the *****. I'm not sure if they would see you at a high risk unit without a history but at least it is available if you develop preeclampsia or any other pregnancy related disorder. It's definitely a good idea to keep an eye on your blood pressure but too much worrying can cause your bp to increase. If you don't feel like you are getting the care you should, do not hesitate to look for a new doctor. I wish I had...

Laura
EmilyBear

Postby EmilyBear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:08 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention, and my doc did not tell me either with my first baby that we lost, is that when you are over 20 weeks you go straight to the Labour and Delivery area. Do not wait in the ER. I, unfortunately, waited far too long in Emergency and was told too late that I should have skipped the line so to speak. The hospital in **** is very diligent and made sure I was aware of procedures etc from the first appointment on. It is an hours drive for me but well worth it to get quality care.

Laura
EmilyBear

Postby EmilyBear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:14 pm

A quick Google search. This is your region's high risk MFM provider.

Hope you don't need to use them, but if you do, it sounds like you'll be in good hands.

Laura
EmilyBear

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:52 am

I'm sorry to edit the names out, but the Preeclampsia Foundation cannot even appear to be recommending or endorsing any particular facility or doc for liability reasons (and tax reasons - it turns out that there's a line in the tax code that would count it as *advertising*, and the last thing we want to do is send money intended for grant research to the IRS!)

Thank you for understanding - and please feel free to share names in private messages via this forum!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced