Downton Abbey

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Downton Abbey

Postby eleni » Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:25 pm

Who caught tonight's PBS episode (Jan. 27)? Reactions? Did you think they treated the issue accurately (medically, emotionally, and otherwise)?
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.
eleni
Site Admin

Re: Downton Abbey

Postby saffron » Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:37 pm

It hasn't aired here yet, but I've been following the buzz on Twitter and Facebook. I'm planning to watch it tomorrow morning while the kids are at school.
Jennifer
Aidan, born 4/5/02 on time and without complication
Donovan, born 10/6/06 at 31+ weeks, due to HELLP syndrome and eclampsia
saffron

Postby Maplecat6 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

I didn't know it was coming and it was a huge trigger for my husband and myself. It has been a rough night.
Amy, mom to four
Quinn, 4/28/06, no complications
Lou, 5/8/09, no complications
Rosie, 3/13/11-3/29/11, eclampsia at 27 weeks and then died from NEC
Sara, 5/3/12, no complications other than an obscene amount of monitoring
Maplecat6

Postby kerisue » Mon Jan 28, 2013 00:41 am

It's on the dvr, but I haven't watched it yet. I could tell from the previews that something bad was going down with her pregnancy, just not how it was going to happen. If its preeclampsia, isn't she a little early for that? she's barely showing.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Jan 28, 2013 01:52 pm

It was harder than I expect to watch it. My MIL spoiled the plot for me because she watched in the UK last fall and was worried that I would freak out. In hindsight, I am glad she did that. Sybil's comment about lying back to watch the stars was pretty disturbing since I remember having that thought. The pigheaded doctor and lack of medical response were very difficult to watch. I liked the Daily Beast piece, and I appreciated the clarification that Mag would/could have been available if she had gone to the hospital.
It was actually easier for me to watch than the House episode about the young Mom who dies from HELLP, but that isn't saying much. I diagnosed myself based on that one, and I refused to go to the hospital until my husband reminded me that she died. I haven't been able to watch it again. I hope this episode of DA educates more women about PE. It certainly kept me up all night and is probably responsible for my complete inability to get anything done today.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 08:23 pm

I had a hard time with it. I was shaken by what she was describing, how the doctors handled it (why didn't they do a c-section!? then again, in the 1920s it might not have helped much).

It was difficult to watch and afterward, I had to process for awhile before I could go to sleep. Didn't help that I JUST found out I'm expecting another baby.

I'm thankful for modern medicine, but I'm sad that this disease still has so many question marks.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby MattysGirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

Hard to watch. Had a hard time falling asleep after watching. Thank goodness for Mag Sulfate!
Had my son at 31 weeks 4 days due to preeclampsia. Son was in the NICU for 5 weeks and is doing great!
MattysGirl

Postby kaxy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:13 am

I think the Preeclampsia Foundation did an outstanding job of being on top of the issue, with their press releases and Facebooking and Twittering. Hopefully the information will register with folks who aren't aware of the disease. I know that when I was pregnant with my first, I had only vaguely heard of preeclampsia. Didn't know anyone with it, and didn't think much of it.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News