Please help, I don't know what to think

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Please help, I don't know what to think

Postby OskarsMummy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 03:20 pm

In my first pregnancy I had severe PE, eclampsia which resulted in a fit and HELLP syndrome.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant now, since yesterday I've had pain in my upper abdominal, headaches and a fluctuating BP. Whilst most doctors say PE can't develop until after 20 weeks it isn't impossible.

My last BP result was 112/72, which is high considering my normal is 110/62.

I'm so scared PE is setting in early, I plan on going to docs first thing mon but I'm so worried, could this be PE again ? And this early, my baby would stand no chance of survival :cry:
OskarsMummy

Re: Please help, I don't know what to think

Postby MomTimesThree » Sun Mar 03, 2013 00:39 am

I'm sorry you're having a nerve wracking day. It's so challenging because all those symptoms are also totally normal pregnant symptoms- and double challenging that unlike the first time or even 2nd time around "normal" pregnant momma, you are hyper aware of every change and know where things can lead. At the same time it doesn't mean they aren't normal joyous pregnancy symptoms. I wouldn't consider your last BP to be a rise- a fluctuation- you're adding a lot of blood volume, all kinds of pregnancy shifts and changes. And it's still a very very pretty BP number. :)

I hope you're able to find a peaceful space and if you need for peace of mind to call Monday.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Please help, I don't know what to think

Postby sarahkm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 02:57 pm

I don't want to minimize your symptoms but the symptoms you are describing can be experienced in a normal pregnancy. I just finished my 1st trimester..
Other causes for headaches: dehydration (that is a biggie!), sinus congestion/pain, tension
Other causes for upper abdominal pain: indigestion, heartburn and reflux (a biggie for me!)...I am a big coffee drinker and couldn't drink even decaf during the first trimester due to stomach discomfort and reflux...I now am able to drink a couple cups per day, but many times have to take Pepcid AC once a day
Is the abdominal pain on your right or left side? If it is on your left, then it could be your stomach.

Your BP numbers look great! Those are what my numbers look like now, although I did recently increase my dose of hypertension medication (I'm still on a VERY low dose and have chronic kidney disease which leads to chronic hypertension)

Sarah
Sarah (41)
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Miscarriage 12/2011
Expecting again-due date August 16, 2013 (Folic Acid, LDA, Prenatal vitamins, BP meds, Vitamin D, Slow release Iron)
Elias Nathanael born healthy 07/28/2013 at 37 weeks 2 days, 5#11oz. No signs of HELLP or preeclampsia! Tear noticed in placenta after delivery.
sarahkm

Return to Pregnant Again?