21 weeks looking for support

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

21 weeks looking for support

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 am

Hi,
I am 21 weeks, 1 day today and nervous about the possibility of having pre-eclampsia again. So far, my BP and urine are ok, however, I am struggling with a lot of anxiety over what may happen. Hoping to get some support on this website. I was lucky with my first child in that she survived and did not have any serious problems other than difficulty breathing for 4 hours, jaundice, lethargy from mag. IV. I now know what I did not know when I was pregnant with her--that many of you have not been so lucky with pre-e and I am afraid this time we may not be so lucky. It is making my pregnancy much less enjoyable with this fear in the back of my mind. How do you deal with this fear?
Also, has any of you been put on the weekly P-17 shot to prevent preterm labor? I have been getting this weekly shot for 6 weeks now.
And lastly, have any of you had severe morning sickness in your first trimester? I read somewhere about a connection between this and pre-e and just wondered. I had it with both my pregnancies.
Thanks.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Re: 21 weeks looking for support

Postby ellemoon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 08:47 pm

I understand your fears completely. As I approach 20 weeks, I get more and more nervous. Just try to relax as much as possible. It helps me calm down when I tell myself that getting anxious will only increase my BP and there's nothing I can do to prevent pre-e, so I just have to hope to for the best.

As far as the morning sickness... I did not really have it with DD, I was nauseous but never really got sick. This time however, I'm having another girl but I had pretty rough morning sickness. So, I'm hoping in my case.. that it means that my body grew a nice healthy placenta (hence all the sickness because of hormones?) and this time will be different. It's so hard to know though. Every pregnancy is different.

I wish you the best though for a nice long, healthy pregnancy! I know that's all we all want.
Leslie (26) DH (28)
Chronic hypertensive since age 17
DD- born April 24, 2011 due to severe pre-e at 29w1d weighing 2lbs, 11oz
Diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR C677T
Pregnant with #2! Due 9/2/13 but will deliver at 36-37 weeks due to classical csection.
(Labetolol, HCTZ, Aspirin 81mg, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, D, Fish Oil, Fiber gummies, Folic Acid)
ellemoon

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:47 pm

Thanks for the support ellemoon! It looks like you are not far behind me on due date. Hope everything goes well with you too. I had a little concern yesterday when my face swelled up like I was having an allergic reaction, and then I have had a headache since. The swelling went done late last night, but it is feeling a bit tight today. I have been monitoring BP 110/70 and urine-only 0.3, so I don't think it's preeclampsia yet...hoping it's to do with heat and pollen, although I do not have any allergies? Congrats on the baby girl...I am having a boy. Take care.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Postby sam10 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:36 pm

Any type of facial swelling and headache, I would report to your doctor and let him/her make a decision whether you need to be seen. Even if it is nothing, better to get checked.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Fri Apr 12, 2013 09:03 am

Hi sam,
Thank you for your concern. I do not have the swelling anymore and my headache has decreased. I believe it was a reaction to the awful pollen we have right now making everything yellow. Baby has been moving a lot as normal, BP and urine ok so I think I will wait and talk to my nurse who comes to my house each week Monday.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Postby MomTimesThree » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 am

How wonderful to have a nurse come to the house! That's really neat.

I was on the 17p shots in my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies for pre-term labor which we had with our first. I credit it very much with keeping my pesky uterus quiet so that we could get as far as we did with our last two. We had some PTL issues, but they didn't present until much further along and we were able to manage.

Glad the swelling has decreased.
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby Secondtimefingerscrossed » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 am

Hi momtimesthree,
Yes, it is really great to have the nurse come to my house. I am glad to hear that the shots seemed to work for you! I haven't come across anyone else that's taken the shots. That's encouraging.
Secondtimefingerscrossed

Return to Pregnant Again?