Still seeing stars more than a year later

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
brandib

Re: Still seeing stars more than a year later

Postby brandib » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Since you haven't seen an eye doc since the hospital, I'd make an appt with one now so they can check your eyes out again and hopefully give you the "all clear" again and maybe that will help.

kathleen.parker

Postby kathleen.parker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 08:11 pm

Hi Brandi. I don't get migraines, no. I did see an eye doc a few days after giving birth as part of my hospital treatment and he saw no permanent damage and gave me the all clear.

Thanks for the info!
Kathleen

brandib

Postby brandib » Mon Sep 21, 2015 07:01 pm

Hi Kathleen. Sorry you're still having vision issues :/ FWIW, I just wanted to tell you about mine during pregnancy and afterwards. During the worst of it in pregnancy, I was seeing sparkles/glitter/stars, little silver crawling things, black blobs, holes, etc., and finally, these big bright fat white lights, everywhere. They last quite a long time and they're huge. They never leave your vision field. Anywhere you look, they're right there. THOSE are the single visual disturbance that I have been able to pin point to pregnancy only. Now, I still get floaters. I still get glittery stars and such here and there. I think it could be related to migraine and or just changes after being pregnant. Have you seen an eye doc yet?!

kathleen.parker

Still seeing stars more than a year later

Postby kathleen.parker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 07:54 pm

Hello ladies, this is my first post here! I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and the beginnings of HELLP in June 2014 and gave birth to my daughter by emergency C section at 36 weeks 0 days in late June 2014. Prior to pregnancy, my blood pressure tended to be low a lot of the time, and I was quite fit and exercised a lot both before and during my pregnancy, although I am pretty overweight and always have been (BMI 30).

I experienced vision disturbances from about 33 weeks, they're sometimes referred to as seeing stars (or little crawling insects, in my case!), as well as protein in the urine and rather high BP. I never had any pain or headaches. Highest BP recorded was 190/110, which was just before my c-section.

It took a few months for my blood pressure to return to normal post partum, and I was on medication and gradually weaned off it after about 8 weeks. Nowadays, my BP sometimes a little on the high side, but mostly in the normal area, and I stopped worrying about it months ago.

BUT.... I am still seeing stars, 15 months later. I'm not talking about floaters - I have PLENTY more of them than I did before PE, but they don't bother me. I'm talking about the little crawly insects in the corners of both eyes, they last for about 5-10 seconds and then they go away. It was about once a month post partum, and now I have to say it's once a week or fortnight, so... more often. Sometimes it happens when I am a bit stressed, but sometimes it happens for no reason at all when I'm quite relaxed. When it happens, I do get the blood pressure monitor out, and my BP is usually in the normal area (120/80). It's been explained to me by medical professionals, often with a bit of an "I dunno" shrug, that it happens as a result of circulatory fluctuations (a sudden spike or dip in BP).

I'm curious to see if other women with pre-eclampsia still experience vision disturbances this long after giving birth, and to know what might be behind it.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”