Scared and Don't Know What to Expect

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Scared and Don't Know What to Expect

Postby alviarin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 09:42 pm

Glad to hear she is improving, thanks for the update!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MacSK

Postby MacSK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:27 am

Just a further update on my wife's recovery. About a week ago she noticed her BP starting to return to her normal pre pregnancy ranges and as a result has been able to stop taking BP medication.

A urinalysis revealed her protein is still quite high but liver enzymes, total creatinine and other markers were all in normal levels, the doctor was not concerned and recommended rechecking everything in another three months.

So, its been a bumpy road but things are returning to normal and we are adjusting to life with a very hungry baby boy! I learned lots from this site and want to remind others that things do get better and to stay positive!

Best wishes to everyone.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 pm

I am glad to hear her pressures are behaving! You're completely right that while there are guidelines, there's a lot of variability and unfamiliarity around this condition - which makes no sense when it is so common.

Please keep us posted as she recovers.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

MacSK

Postby MacSK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 04:47 am

Just an update,

We were discharged from the hospital today after 24 + hours of BP ranging from 128/76 to 142/78 through the use of 60mg Adalat XL every 12 hours. Internal medicine were consulted and thought everything looked fine and felt no need to alter the plan. Liver enzymes were very slightly elevated and on the way down as was protein. The OB/GYN advised to take one 200mg Labetalol for any spikes that exceeded 140/90 and follow up in six weeks time.

Here's hoping to a quick recovery and no more bumps in the road.

Best wishes to everyone.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Welcome to the forums.

I'm glad your wife's pressures (and excess fluid) are coming down. Recovery from pre-e is highly individual, but at some point her pressures will start coming down on meds, necessitating some dose changes. Some women recover in hours, some in weeks, and some take even longer. I'm sure your docs will tell you how to continue to monitor her pressures at home after you are discharged.

I also had my firstborn son induced at 38 weeks for severe preeclampsia, and saw pressures that high and higher. I ended up later getting a full check-up by a cardiologist and he cleared me to climb mount everest if I so desired. It is rare to have long term damage from pre-e, but it is believed that pre-e unmasks an increased risk of heart attack and stroke long term. Which just means we should take care to mimimize other cardiac risk factors.

With my first pregnancy my pressures and fluid came down within 24 hours of delivery. With my second, my pressures peaked a week post-partum on a high dose of BP meds, before slowly coming back down over the next several weeks. I will say after both deliveries it took a few months for me to start to feel normal again physically.

You are right that there is a lack of awareness, that is one reason the post-partum period is often considered the most dangerous. Since no-one is watching you medically once you go home. Also as you have experienced there is some variation in treatment, some doctors will mag you for the least sign of pre-e and some only give magnesium sulfate if certain criteria is met. That is one reason the Preeclampsia Foundation exists, to help increase awareness, education, and hopefully improve outcomes.

Please keep us posted on your wife's recovery. And keep any and all questions coming.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

MacSK

Scared and Don't Know What to Expect

Postby MacSK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 09:36 pm

Hi everyone. On Jan 12, at 38 weeks my wife was induced and we gave birth to a healthy baby boy. About a week prior her BP had first became elevated and was up to 190/80 when she was admitted and induced. After being discharged we noticed her BP rise to 197/105 and went back to the ER where she was admitted. ER doc ordered 12 hours of mag sulfate, 200 mg lebetalol and 60 mg Adalat (Procardia) XL. 24 hours after being admitted her BP seems to be holding steady at 135/80 give or take a couple points. Since delivering she's lost over 20 lbs of mostly water weight, peeing pretty much every hour. Still she protein in her urine and her liver enzymes were elevated but appear to be coming down.

Thankfully it looks like we have a decent grasp on the situation and should likely be discharged in the next 24 hours.

I have however noticed what almost seems like a lack of awareness and even consistency amongst the medical staff on the treatment of this. ER doc thought BP of 197/105 was worth treating with mag sulfate while OB/GYN thought this was extreme. After sharing our story with some friends I've learned that some have experienced the same situation and I had no idea how common preeclampsia really is.

I'm just wondering what to expect going forward or any kind of insight or words that will help ease my anxious mind.

I'm glad that it seems we've found a combo of meds that are working and expect that this will be the course of action for several weeks if not months. Should we continue to expect some spikes in BP going forward? One of the OB/GYN's had mentioned that the highest BP numbers are most commonly seen 3 to 7 days postpartum.

Part of me wonders how often this extreme BP occurs and goes unnoticed amongst new mom's who aren't symptomatic for preeclampsia?

This whole experience has really thrown a dark cloud over our experience but we are trying to stay positive and thankful for everything that has worked out so far.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”