Taken BP Meds but BP is still rising

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sarah0381

Re : Taken BP Meds but BP is still rising

Postby sarah0381 » Fri Jan 13, 638930 1:11 am

I'm glad you are being monitored!!! I really do hope they can change your meds to fix the situation!! Praying for you and please keep us updated!!

tracym

Postby tracym » Thu Jan 12, 638930 10:32 pm

I hope it settles down a bit, perhaps the dr will add in another medication. Did they check your urine while you were there? My hospital had some machine in triage that measured the protein in just that sample (amongst other stuff), it gave a little printout with the results on it and it only took minutes.

The only thing I liked about day assessment is that they'd give me my file downstairs in admissions to take up myself and I'd get to read it on the way up :)

What state are you in? I'm in Adelaide, feel free to email me through my profile here if you need anything.

Edited to add: I'm a bit surprised that they didn't find you a bed when your bp was 170/115 at the hospital...how high has your bp been running?

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Thu Jan 12, 638930 4:22 pm

Hi back from L&D they didnt turn me away but there were no beds so had to wait in the waiting room. My OB caught up with me there has taken bloods and urine and told me to go home take another 100mg of labetalol to see if it helps then head up to Day Assessment Unit to have my BP monitored for 4hrs also by then results from bloods ect will be back then he can make some further decisions. He will be in Day Assessment most of the morning he has a few patients in there today. My bp is still very high at L&D it was 170/115 heart rate was 153 but I think that was because I had a bit of a walk from the car it is now sitting around 160/105 swelling has also been increasing the last few hours. I have been on Labetalol now for a while it was increased last week from 100mg twice a day to 200mg 3 times a day. I hope it is just a case of meds not being enough to control my BP.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Thu Jan 12, 638930 1:35 pm

As long as you have waited an hour or two laying on your left side and drinking water and your bp have stayed the same or gotten worse, I would go in.

If you haven't done those things, they will do it first in the hospital and if the pressures go down they will send you home. So lay on your left side, drink water wait 30 min and take your pressures.

If you bp does go down, still follow up with your OB later and let him know what is up. He might want to up your meds.

sarah0381

Postby sarah0381 » Thu Jan 12, 638930 1:32 pm

I'm taking labatelol and my docs told me that it would take a couple of weeks for the bp med to actually stabalize bp. I don't think it will lower it much after taking it. How long have you been on it??? Maybe it's not enough to keep your pressure down?.?. Hope this is a little helpful, best of luck to you!!!

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Thu Jan 12, 638930 8:47 am

Thanks I thought about 1hr also. It is only 6am here I have rung my OB but he is delivering a baby at the moment I have left a message for him to call. I am thinking about heading up to L&D anyway just took BP again and now 160/110 my headache is getting a lot worse and just noticed some swelling in feet that was not there 1hr ago. Just hoping they dont turn me away apparently they are that busy they women labouring on the ward as there are no rooms left in L&D.

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Thu Jan 12, 638930 8:15 am

i think they say the meds take an hour to show what they are going to do....call your dr's office if u can and see what they say

stargazer

Taken BP Meds but BP is still rising

Postby stargazer » Thu Jan 12, 638930 6:44 am

Hi everyone I woke up this morning and took my BP it was 160/105 heart rate was 127. I didnt panic to much my BP is always higher when I wake up. I have taken 200mg of labetalol laid down for a while and took it again and came down slightly 155/100 heart rate is still up. I have rung L&D and they are to busy for me to come up. They told me to lay down for 1hr check it then call again. I did that BP came down to 145/95 I rang them again and still to busy. I took my BP meds almost 2hrs ago now and BP is again over 150/100 and still seems to be rising shouldnt the meds of kicked in by now? I do have a slight headache but nothing to bad my vision seems to be ok. Should I be concerned or just wait to see if it comes down. I am 23wks pregnant and developed Eclampsia last pregnancy at around 33wks. I am trying to remember how long it took with my last pregnancy for my BP to come down after taking meds but cant remember. Thanks

Return to “Ask the Experienced”