New.. With Concerns/Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jen44

Re : New.. With Concerns/Questions

Postby jen44 » Mon Oct 13, 638302 6:47 am

Hi Kathryn
First off, want to welcome you and let you know this is the place to come for great information from women who have run the gamet of experience with PE and while I'm no expert (I know some others will be along shortly who have way more knowledge than me) I'll offer you my opinion...

*Is it safe for the baby to be induced at 37 weeks? absolutely, 37 weeks is considered "term" but from how you have described things, I don't think holding off until 37 weeks is reasonable.

*What problems or complications are probable if my body/cervix isn't ready for birth at 37 weeks? if are stable enough to endure an induction and your body doesn't cooperate, you will most likely have a c-section.

*It has been mentioned to me that women with severe PE are normally hospitalized. Is this true? YES
With the current symptoms I am having is it probable that the high risk OB will want to admit me? I believe so, and I would hope so too -- with the symptoms you are experiencing I would say the safest place for you right now is the hospital.

*What are the chances that our son will have to be born even earlier than 37 weeks, and if sooner what are survival chances. How long would he have to be hospitalized? If you had to deliver today at 33 weeks - your baby would have a very high chance of survival (92% at least I think) and would probably need to spend a few weeks in the NICU but at 33 weeks, you are in a very good place.

Please update us on how your appt goes with the high risk OB.

anthonyleah12

Postby anthonyleah12 » Mon Oct 13, 638302 6:43 am

wow.. you have been through a lot from what it sounds like. We have the same due date btw. :) I would def. find out how much protein you are spilling, just so you know. You can also ask about your dips too. As for the swelling, don't let anyone tell you that can be "normal" pregnancy stuff, esp. with your symptoms. During my first pregnancy swelling was one of the first indicators that something was going on. Try to rest as much as you can hun! With your bps and symptoms I would think that your MFM would want to keep you until delievry. And making it to 37 or even 36 weeks is HUGE!! I am not sure about a vaginal birth because I had a c-section last time, and will be having another one. From what I know about survial rates is very good, I believe it is in the 90% or higher. I believe the typical stay is a good month if born at 33 week but decreases each week. From what I hear some stay a month and some stay a couple of weeks. You sound like a wonderful mommy already :) Please keep us updated. I am wishing you a few more weeks of an easier pregnancy.
Leah

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sat Oct 04, 638302 8:13 am

Also wanted to add another reason women are hopitilized with severe PE is because high bp can cause placental abrubtions. I am glad you are seeing the High risk doc tommorrow. Hang in there hun and ask all the questions you need. HUGS

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sat Oct 04, 638302 6:57 am

I would think you would be admitted right now if the MFM saw you! but that is just from my experience. Those pressures are really hihg especially from your vaseline and the fact you are on meds and the symptoms you are having a really scary. Things Like stroke, seizure can happen with high bps and cerebral edema (brain swelling, that is what is probably messing with you vision and the fact you are confused)

Right now, it is a balncing act for when it is better off for him to be out for your health and trying to let him cook longer. See PE can kill and does, so many many women have their babies induced long before 37 weeks which is considered term. 33 weeks is a really good place to be

the average time from duagnosis to elivery is 2 weeks....some make it hours some weeks or months. I am not trying to scare you but I am just worried about you.

Please go back in to labor an delivery if anything happens, ot even if you feel off. Has your doc given you a bp number to call in on. like mine was 145/95, I had to call and go in. The numbers you are rumnning are really high. Chronics are allowed to run higher, but it souns like you are not one. If he hasn't. I would call in and ask him.

Please please keep us posted. Those pressures and your symptoms really worry me, The rib pain you are talking about is a symptom that is go to L and D now. It is a sign their is something wrong with your liver which can rupture. Please check out the signs and symtoms link on the main page and go in if anything changes!

pusheangel

New.. With Concerns/Questions

Postby pusheangel » Sat Oct 04, 638302 6:30 am

Okay so I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting this right..

Here's a little of my story: My name is Kathryn. I am 24 years old. My husband and I are expecting a little boy on 9/10. At about 30 weeks I began not feeling very well. I was experiencing a severe headache, dizziness, lethargy, altered vision (black spots), severe swelling (hands, feet, ankles, and face) and feeling really out of it. I tried to spend next couple days resting, but wasn't feeling any better. Luckily my next OB appt. was just a couple days after symptoms began.

When I went in to my appt. my BP which had been good my whole pregnancy was slightly elevated for what had been normal for me. If I remember correctly it was about 130/85. At this point I was still testing negative for protein in my urine. I told my doc about all of the above symptoms. He commented on my BP being higher than normal and that the swelling I was experiencing was past what he would consider a normal amount. He told me there was a good chance I was developing PE. He prescribed the 24 hour urine and some blood work. I left not really feeling better, but hoping that the extra tests would shed some light on the subject.

That afternoon I went to the grocery store to pick up something for dinner. When I was walking I got a major dizzy spell. My vision went blurry (a new symptom), and I nearly fell down. My headache seemed to be much worse. After what I believe to be about 20-30 seconds the dizziness got better and my vision returned. I was at a store that had a BP machine so I went over to it and checked my BP. At that point my BP was about 140/92. I knew this wasn't okay with the other symptoms I was experiencing and decided to head to the hospital. I also noticed at this point I was experiencing some upper abdominal pain under my right ribs which seemed to radiate to the same place on my back on the right side. As I was heading to the ER I became disoriented and confused about what I was doing and where I was going. I parked my car and just sat there. Luckily a girlfriend called to chat and I told her what happened. I wasn't sure where I was but luckily she was able to find me by what was around me. She picked me up and took me straight to the ER.

At this point my confusion seemed to clear up. When they triaged me in the ER my BP was 153/98. They sent me up to L & D. After a bunch of blood work, an ultrasound, and NST they released me. They placed me on bedrest. My BP had come down to about 130's/high 80's. I was to follow up with OB.

I did my 24 urine and followed up with OB. When I went in BP was 158/105. I was told I would not be able to return to work and to continue bedrest. I was also put on labetalol twice a day. I have to have NST's twice a week as well. They also asked that I begin monitoring BP at home 4 times a day.

My 24 hour urine came back with what the doctor called positive for protein. (I noticed some women know the exact amount, but I wasn't give that info and didn't think to ask). I am now diagnosed and have been for about 2 weeks with what my doc calls severe PE. I am still experiencing all of the symptoms (headache, dizziness, spots in vision and blurriness from time to time, abdominal pain and back pain in same spot, lethargy, and some swelling although not as bad (my ankles indented when I went to the ER). The doc sent me for another ultrasound at 32 weeks and baby is estimated at 4 lbs 4 oz which is great from what I hear.

I am now 33 weeks and the doctor has said since this started that I will only be going to 37 weeks and then we will induce. He is sending me to a high risk OB tomorrow for consultation. My NST's have been normal, however, the one I had yesterday the baby's heartrate spent most of the test in the high 160's- mid 170's which is higher than normal for him. Even with the BP meds my BP hasn't been great. In fact I had a reading today of 127/103, and 130/116. Normally since the BP meds it has been about 130's/90's (although it does go higher, and a little lower this is about the average).

Anyways, sorry this has been so long. These are my questions/concerns:

*Is it safe for the baby to be induced at 37 weeks?
*What problems or complications are probable if my body/cervix isn't ready for birth at 37 weeks?
*Will it be possible to still have an unmedicated (no pain meds) vaginal birth?
*It has been mentioned to me that women with severe PE are normally hospitalized. Is this true? With the current symptoms I am having is it probable that the high risk OB will want to admit me?
*What are the chances that our son will have to be born even earlier than 37 weeks, and if sooner what are survival chances. How long would he have to be hospitalized?

Well, I don't know if anyone can help me with the questions, but any input would be greatly appreciated. This is our first child and we tried for a long time for him. I love him so much already and I just want to do what's best for him.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Return to “Ask the Experienced”