Question about Blood Pressure Medication

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
theartsymom

Re : Question about Blood Pressure Medication

Postby theartsymom » Sat Jan 24, 638607 1:27 am

LIKE A heart attack. stabbing pain.

alessels

Postby alessels » Fri Jan 23, 638607 9:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I was just reading that upper abdominal pain can be associated with PE, can anyone tell me more about that? How does it feel?
Has anyone had it? Mine is upper right.

alessels

Postby alessels » Fri Jan 23, 638607 8:51 pm

Been having some abdominal pain, thought it was contractions at first, called the Doctor, she thinks I may have another Bladder infection. I just had one about a month ago.
Need to go back in tomorrow again for a urine analisys.

Oh this is so much fun....... No more babies after this one.

Adri

patty

Postby patty » Fri Jan 23, 638607 11:35 am

It can be different every time. The most severe cases I had were with my 1st and last baby who had to be delivered at 31 weeks(he was my earliest). Sometimes it can get worse and come on earlier then a first pregnancy, that was the case with me anyway. Good Luck and keep us posted when you get your 24hr urine results back.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Jan 23, 638607 12:53 am

You are not wrong to be concerned about your health in addition to your baby's health.

alessels

Postby alessels » Fri Jan 23, 638607 12:28 am

Question for you guys-
I heard that if you have Preeclampsia the second time around it’s not as severe as the first, but I have noticed that some of you have it severe even the second or third time around.
Oh, btw- I do own a blood pressure monitor at home.

alessels

Postby alessels » Thu Jan 22, 638607 10:11 pm

Thanks guys for your postings, your stories and experience really help me understand it all better.
I went in early this morning to the take my 24 urine to the lab, then for another non stress test and some blood pressure readings, it seem like the meds have already started to work, my readings were lower, in the low 90’s (diastolic numbers), still a little high, but then again I just started taking it a day and a half ago.
I saw a different Doctor and I was not really happy with her, she told me that my lab work came back and there was definitely some protein in the urine, but they will wait for the results of the 24 hour urine b/c that is more accurate, then she said: “if your blood pressure continues to come down, then you can make it to term”. I was not very happy with that at all, I don’t want a premature baby, but then again, everything I read says that having protein in your urine is bad and it means that your kidneys are getting damaged. I care about the baby’s health, but I also care about mine and if I am not healthy I can’t be the best Mom I can be to my kids.
Am I wrong to think that?

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Thu Jan 22, 638607 7:45 pm

I think that the bp medication will help your bp. It may take some trial and error to get the dosage right but, it should help. It is also likely that you will be on the bp meds for several weeks to several months after delivery. When you are ready, you will most likely be weened off of the bp meds. I knew that it was time to start weening when my bp started to get too low on the medication.Unfortunately, some of us don't come off of them at all. The side affects are minimal. I'm not sure which bp medication you're taking but, in the pregnancy safe bp meds I think the biggest risk is a smaller than average baby.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jan 22, 638607 4:48 pm

Adri, I am sorry you are having problems with pre-e again :( but I am glad you found the forums here. To try and answer some of your questions. It really depends on the bp drug and doseage as to how well it will work to lower your pressures. I think it is also common to prescribe bp meds when the bottom number is consistently over 100. There should not be any side effects on the baby but depending on the drug you might experience some. I am surprised they did not admit you to the hospital. When I was having #'s that high they wanted me to come in and be put on some IV bp meds to lower it, hydralizine I think. Maybe your ob is waiting for the 24 hour to come back and decide what to do. I know you said you did not want to be admitted but sometimes it is the safest option and you can get baby far enough that way where you don't need NICU and hospital bedrest is better than NICU anyday. Hopefully you will be able to discontinue the drugs after your baby is born but it may take a little time for bp's to return to normal. I have had pre-e multiple times and got to come off meds every time but this last pregnancy where they decided I had finally been pushed into chronic hypertension land so I guess I will be on bp meds for the duration now. Good Luck to you and I hope the meds work for you.

missdee

Postby missdee » Thu Jan 22, 638607 12:52 am

Do you have any symptoms that you can react to if they change? How is your swelling? Wish you well- 14 days sincerely hope you'll get there!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”