My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 05:36 pm

Re : My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby trish » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:15 pm

We got the 2nd dose of the regular flu shot today for Ali & if her Ped. had any H1N1 she'd would have wanted Ali to have that as well. Ali's had RSV/bronchiolitis twice (most recently just 2 months ago) & was doing the neb around the clock for like a month. Plus she is just barely over 21 lbs.(at 22 months) and has sisters in public school so the Ped. advised us to get it. But I have no idea where it's available so we're still waiting.

Glad you got it & feel good about your decision. :)

Forum Moderator
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 11:47 am

Re : My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Oct 30, 2009 09:01 pm

S&C got their shots on Tuesday. After begging and pleading with the pedi, I got one too! My PCP is not getting any, so I was worried about finding one for me. I'm hoping DH can find one since Meredith is only 5 weeks and we really need to keep H1N1 out of the house!

Forum Moderator
Posts: 2038
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 01:31 pm

Re : My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby jenn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 07:08 pm

Sueanne, u have me wishing Jaidyn's dr would call and push me into a decision too. But I've been told that she will not be getting any in. That's not to say that the shot isn't readily available to me... but something about it coming from your own ped' makes a mommy feel better :o)
Glad you made the right decision for you and Hannah.

User avatar
Registered User
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 06:35 pm
Location: Florida

My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Oct 30, 2009 06:55 pm

I had been debating on whether or not to get the H1N1 shot for Hannah. Her doctor's office called today and said that Hannah was on the list of high-risk children and she needed to come in today because they got a small shipment of shots. I decided that this was the sign I needed, so we went and got it for her. So far, she hasn't had any effects from it. She always receives a seasona flu shot and has never had a reaction. She has reactive airway disease, which the doctor explained is probably due to lung damage from the ventilator when she was a baby, so this put her in the high risk category. I have been worried that with her lung issues, she would be prone to the secondary lung infection from Swine Flu, so I was leaning toward the shot, but this sealed the deal. I know a lot of parents are debating on whether to get it for their children, but now that Hannah has hers, I feel really good about the decision.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests