Period not behaving the same since HELLP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Re : Period not behaving the same since HELLP

Postby kerisue » Wed Jan 30, 638943 11:55 pm

mine have been lighter since pregnancy. somehow this makes me worry more though- like things aren't quite happening the way they should. (and I am getting older, so fertility could be waning. But i hope not!)

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Jan 20, 638943 7:34 pm

I had horrible dismenorrhoe before getting pregnant. Every month I would faint, shiver, vomit etc
when getting my period, if not on the pill. Pregnancy has completely changes this and I have normal periods now, also lighter. I think as long are you are fairly sure you are ovulating,
I would't worry. Good luck with TTC. Temping really helped me to figure out when I ovulate.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Jan 10, 638943 5:28 am

Jasmin your pregnancy was so recently that you still may not be back to your normal cycles again. Give it a few more months and you will probably notice a difference

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Thu Jan 10, 638943 1:57 am

My periods are so heavy now, I can wake up in the middle of the night with blood on my back. Sorry for the graphic detail. It's that heavy. Then it calms down. My period lasts for about 5-7 days with the last day being very light. I miss the good old days.

jean

Postby jean » Wed Jan 09, 638943 11:38 pm

Oh wow, that's good to know!
Kimbeyjay-yes, I had a c-section.
I was thinking, oh no, I hope my uterus is still holding the right amount of blood and everything if we TTC again! Yeah, my ovulation used to be right on schedule as well, but then this last month it was also 2 weeks late. By what you guys have said though, it sounds like the period behavior is normal.

brandib

Postby brandib » Wed Jan 09, 638943 3:09 pm

My periods have never been the same since I've had children. I went from perfect 28 day cycles, totally predictable flow for every day, then I had kids and I can be late, really late, early, really early, horrible bleeding to light bleeding, stopping and starting......NOTHING like the good old days :0) I've never been on bc. But I'm gonna be after this last pregnancy.......soon and very soon!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jan 09, 638943 11:52 am

I would guess it is just normal after pregnancy changes. Mine became a little shorter, and it is much heavier on day 1 and 2 than it used to be. Day 3 is pretty minimal, and Day 4 I have a little bit.

I was on the pill for 15 years, and then only had a few months of "normal" periods before my 1st pregnancy which ended in miscarriage, then was pregnant shortly thereafter with my son. So, I didn't have much "normal" time until I was postpartum and not taking any hormonal bc. So perhaps my periods now are my normal periods, and the ones I had while on the pill were not.

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Jan 09, 638943 11:33 am

My periods are the same way as yours after having pre eclampsia 2 years ago. Did you have a c section? I do not know if this is true or not, but I heard that sometimes the doctor can wipe clean the uterus and that is why periods can be lighter.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Jan 09, 638943 11:31 am

Change in the length and flow of your period after any pregnancy is normal - not just those with HELLP. It also takes a while for your body to adjust to all the hormones and timing. The pill definitely would have regulated your timing. You may normally have a longer cycle than the 28 days provided by the pill. It took about a year for my body to adjust to normal periods again, but I was breastfeeding for 8 months as well during that time. You may also want to start tracking your ovulation if you are wanting to TTC again soon.

Bu

jean

Period not behaving the same since HELLP

Postby jean » Wed Jan 09, 638943 7:17 am

I'm almost 8 months pp now, and my period seemed to regulate itself pretty well at about 2 or 3 mos pp. BUT the thing I'm noticing is that it's behaving differently than before I was pg. Before, it would last 5 days, the 3rd day always being the heaviest, and it was a fairly heavy period overall with the last day being light. But now my periods only last about 3 days and are pretty light throughout. (They're definitely in existance-not EXTREMELY light, but just much lighter in comparison to what they used to be) Should this be a cause for concern? Also, before I was pg I was on the pill, and now I'm not. (I don't know if that would make any difference) I know the pill regulated it pretty well before. In addition, my last period was 2 weeks late.
Just wondering since we'll probably be TTC in a couple of months.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”