fluctuating bp?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re: fluctuating bp?

Postby mom29 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 07:24 pm

Yes, my next appointment is this Thursday. I'll start the NST's at 32 weeks. My bp was 139/91 this morning, 126/60 in the afternoon, and 128/81 this evening so not bad at all. Maybe that 98/56 was just one odd reading. I'll keep checking it regularly though because I'm not comfortable taking the labetalol if my bp is running too low. The low numbers were what caused the mfm to tell me to go to one dose a day.

Maybe with the lower numbers I'll avoid the mag.

brandib

Postby brandib » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 am

Judy your appt is Thursday right?? Have you started your NST's or BPP's yet??? I know Dr.M said when you skip a dose of Labetalol you can get a rebound high blood pressure reading. Whats your bp now??

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 09:24 am

Yes. Think of it as ongoing negotiations. If the placenta is successfully inducing maternal tolerance, you'll just quietly send it all the blood it wants. And the stupid thing is, it has a hostage you care about (genetically speaking) so this is usually how things go, until it's growing a baby so big that negotiations break down. :)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 09:08 am

Thanks everyone.

Caryn, that's a new one on me. So the placenta can drive bp up or down or you are pondering if the placenta can make lows lower?

I'm so glad I have a mfm this time. I'm going to start checking it more frequently over then next few days to see what kind of trend is going on.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 08:01 am

I wonder if you're getting labile and the placenta is able to drive those lows even lower? Gah.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

steffthomas

Postby steffthomas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 06:42 am

I'm not on any sort of medication however, I know a little bit about BP, and perhaps like the previous posted stated, that maybe you're just on too high of a dose of BP medicine? After my peanut was born, I was on meds for about 6 weeks. The last 2, I had a few experiences of low blood pressures. Much lower than I had seen (90's/60's--but that was my pre pregnancy norm), so since I wasn't pregnant anymore, when I went in for my 6 week check up, the doctor felt my BP's would probably be stable. I do run higher now though, mostly in the 110's/70's when not pregnant.

laughinggirl127

Postby laughinggirl127 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 02:22 am

You could be dizzy from the BP's being low. Its hard to say. The labetelol does come in lower doses than you have mentioned. I started on 10mg a day and went up to 40mg, so the Dr. may need to adjust. Hope this all gets sorted out for you very soon. And don't be afraid to call the DR. they get paid the same whether you call or not. and its what they are there for. Better safe than sorry.

Try to have a great week and keep us posted.
DS born 2003- 39 weeks preeclampsia, 6LBS 7oz
DD born 2009-32 weeks preeclampsia, 3LBS 1oz
DD born 2012-38 weeks, PIH, IUGR 5lbs 4oz- no pree

mom29

fluctuating bp?

Postby mom29 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:13 am

I'm currently in my 30th week of pregnancy and have chronic hypertension. Started out this pregnancy already on 100 mgs. labetalol 2x's a day. When I hit the 2nd tri. dip I went down to 100 mgs. 1x's a day. Then back up to 100 mgs. 2x's a day when my bp started creeping up. Last week, the mfm increased the dose again since it was continuing to creep up. Bp went too low, so I backed off to the 100 2x's a day again which is where I currently am now.

Today my dh commented that I didn't look too well and asked if my blood sugar was running low (brownie points for him for asking!). I was eating snack so I said it couldn't be, but I felt very dizzy. Later, I checked my bp and it was a ridiculous 98/56. Figured it was a machine error and checked again and got 112/59. I decided to skip the labetalol before bed since I was running much much lower than I normally do. Now at 2 a.m. it's 152/95.

What on earth is going on? I'm afraid to take the labetalol when I'm running low and I'm pretty much on the lowest dose now. I see the mfm this week, so I'll be checking my bp more frequently and I"ll let him figure it all out. Just wondering if anyone else has had fluctuations like this?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”