Stopping LDA

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Stopping LDA

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 04, 639268 4:42 pm

It would be *so awesome* if we had a pill to take to prevent it. Everyone would like their sense of control over these pregnancies back!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Oct 25, 639268 8:27 am

That is why I had to stop taking it in my second pregnancy, my MFM felt that because of my high bp and that the pressure of the blood flowing to the placenta was already so great that the aspirin might cause me to have an abruption. This pregnancy is different however, my bp is normal with a low dose of meds. My OB said he was going to ask the MFM what he thought but in the meantime stop taking the aspirin because my homocystine levels are low. I just cant get over the feeling that if I stop taking that pill, PE is gonna happen. Crazy I know!!
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Sep 20, 639268 10:42 am

I'm quite sure your doc knows more about this than I do, but here's what I know: the evidence for LDA is not very strong, and at least one of the randomized trials shows a trend towards increased rates of placental abruption in women taking it. As I understand it most docs think that's probably a statistical artifact, but it's a stronger effect than the benefit of aspirin, which suggests the benefit of aspirin is *also* just a statistical effect.

The folic acid you're taking is probably to normalize your homocysteine levels. I wonder if your doc's seen something suggesting abruptions are more likely in a population of women with homocysteine levels that aren't normal?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

mommy2maddie

Stopping LDA

Postby mommy2maddie » Sun Aug 05, 639268 6:25 am

I am currently 9 1/2 weeks pregnant with my third child, I have MTHFR, for which I am taking B12, B6, Folic Acid, and LDA. My first pregnancy I started taking LDA at at about 12 weeks when my spotting was discovered to be caused by MTHFR. In my second pregnancy I was on it from conception until about 26 weeks, when my MFM told me to stop taking it because he felt my high bp combined with the aspirin could cause a placental abruption. Now at 9 1/2 weeks my regular OB told me my homocystine levels are low so he wants me to stop taking it, I dont really feel comfortable not taking it this early in the game but he thinks it would be okay to stop. What is the harm if I keep taking it? Did it already help this pregnancy by allowing the placenta to implant okay?
Alissa 23
DH Richard 25
DD Madison Rene 6/2008 29 weeks 4 days 2lbs. 7oz. 45 days NICU Severe PE
DS RJ 10/2009 35 weeks 5lbs. 13oz. 5 days NICU PPROM
Baby #3 Due July 2, 2012

Return to “Ask the Experienced”